New Estonian PM

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

New Estonian PM

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Kaja Kallas, who definitely used to play chess but I can't find reliable details very easily. Anyone?

(Viktorija Čmilytė-Nielsen I do know of, but she is "only" the opposition leader in Lithuania, as I understand it. Their successes in politics presumably say something about the enduring respectability of chess in that area of the world).

Nick Grey

Re: New Estonian PM

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 pm

Look as junior? Try under married names? fred's mum?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:01 pm

There's also the female Latvian government minister who squashed Hou Yifan.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:16 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:01 pm
There's also the female Latvian government minister who squashed Hou Yifan.
Dana Reizniece-Ozola:
In the 4th round of the 42nd Chess Olympiad in 2016, Reizniece-Ozola defeated Women's World Chess Champion Hou Yifan.
Sourced to this article:

Latvian Finance Minister topples world chess number one
Latvia's Finance Minister, Dana Reizniece-Ozola, claimed an impressive non-fiscal scalp September 5 by beating the world chess champion.

Reizniece-Ozola, a long-time grandmaster, beat Chinese world champion and world number one-ranked player Hou Yifan at the Baku Olympiade run by the World Chess Federation (FIDE) in Azerbaijan.

"In the women's section the biggest attention was attached to the victory of Dana Reizniece-Ozola, Latvia's top board and also the country's Minister for Finance, against the world champion Hou Yifan. China still emerged on the top with wins of Ju Wenjun and Guo Qi," said the official FIDE account of the Round 4 match-up.

A picture posted to social media showed Reizniece-Ozola reacting to her notable victory with disbelief.
Photos on Twitter of her reaction.

Big difference in rating at the time: 2243 vs 2658 (i.e. 415 difference).

This is the game on chessgames under the imaginative title "Yes Minister":

Apparently the opening was the English Opening: Agincourt Defense. Neo Catalan Declined (A14) .

EDIT: With apologies to the new Estonian PM (who did not play that game), that is nice game to play through, with some sparkling tactics. Let's see if Kaja Kallas has any games like that!
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:20 pm

I think she also played in the final of 4NCL online (season 2), beating Ravi Haria in a critical game for surprise winning team Chessplus Kingston.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

I know who Dana is and what she is now doing. see 4NCl Online and other posts.
Does the New Estonian PM play Chess?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Kallas or Reizniece-Ozola? I can't find anything relating to chess for Kallas. Oh, presumably Reizniece-Ozola for Chessplus Kingston - how did that happen? I will have to read up on this! :D

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Should we call her Estonian? When she was born she was born as a Soviet citizen, and then grew up as one.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Didn't Estonia obtain independence in 1991? Your question seems bizarre.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:12 pm

Soviets deported from Estonia. So yes The deportations have been repeatedly declared to constitute a crime against humanity by the Parliament of Estonia and acknowledged as such by the European Court of Human Rights.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm
Kaja Kallas, who definitely used to play chess but I can't find reliable details very easily. Anyone?
Perhaps some confusion with Carmen Kass? Not only a super-model, but also a former MEP, and former President of the Estonian Chess Federation.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm
Yes, risible.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:11 pm
Perhaps some confusion with Carmen Kass? Not only a super-model, but also a former MEP, and former President of the Estonian Chess Federation.
that's possible, indeed I suspect that I confused them when I was earlier so confident. But I did also find some google links to press reports suggesting that she (Kallas) used to play (with the usual accuracy in such matters - naturally, she was a grandmaster, because everyone who played chess at any level was a grandmaster according to mainstream media). Just wondering whether anyone could verify.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Jonathan, you may well have been right. On the Estonian federation’s website, I found the following:
http://www.maleliit.ee/et/uudised/15-eesti/3715-parnu-kutsub-2017-maleturniir.html wrote: Augustiunetus on Pärnusse toonud kogukondliku tänavafestivali kultuuri koos ohtrate kohtumiste ja mõnusalt olemise/tegutsemise aladega. Tuletades meelde, et pärnakas olla on tore! 12. augustil alustab Pärnu Ühisgümnaasiumi vilistlaskogu traditsioonide ellukutsumisega, mis tuletab meelde säravaid pärnakaid! Alustame Paul Keresest! Eesti sajandi parimaks sportlaseks valitud malesuurmeister õppis Pärnu Ühisgümnaasiumis, toonase nimega Pärnu Linna Poeglaste Gümnaasiumis, mis asus hoones, kus täna tegutseb Kuninga Tänava Põhikool.

Turniiril võivad osaleda kõik malehuvilised, kes ei oma ega ole varasemalt omanud males reitingut ja/või kõrget spordijärku. Mängijate lõpliku koosseisu turniirile kinnitab korraldustoimkond koos peakohtunikuga. Kuna osalema lubatakse kuni 20 mängijat, siis on soovitav eelnev registreerimine e-posti aadressil: [email protected] Võistlus algab Pärnu Kuninga Tänava Põhikoolis 12. augustil kell 11.00.

I koha auhind on külaskäik Brüsselisse Kaja Kallase kutsel kahele (reis toimub 7.-8.12.2017 ja paketi sees on lennupiletid edasi - tagasi, majutus hotellis koos hommikusöögiga, transfeer lennujaamast ja lennujaama ning üks toidukord, kas ōhtu- vōi lōunasöök (sōltub programmist).

Maleturniiri idee autor on Pärnu Ühisgümnaasiumi Vilistlaskogu ning maleturniiri viib läbi sponsorite toel Eesti Maleliit.
URL: http://www.maleliit.ee/et/uudised/15-ee ... rniir.html

Why would a chess prize involve a trip to meet Kaja Kallas in Brussels, if she were not herself a chess-player?

Edit: included URL reference to quoted passage
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm
In what sense? Her birth certificate documents her as a Soviet citizen and the education system she was nurtured by was Soviet also. There was no Estonia then, well not officially, so by birth she's registered as Soviet. From what I gathered when I went there in 96, they despised Soviet rule and crossed out all signs in Russian on the streets...well they certainly did in the old town anyway. But whether she sees herself as a child of the Soviet Union, or more proudly as Estonian, is another matter. For political purposes she has to state she is Estonian but on a personal level perhaps she is more nostalgic, sentimental and sees herself as still Soviet. When I lived in Azerbaijan many people were like that. They wouldn't tell you this in public because they could get into trouble but more privately they were often happy to talk about how much more efficient the Soviet government was comparatively, and showed you all their documents, signifying they were born as members of the communist party and were Soviet by birth. Seems incredulous by the Baltic states aside, the former Soviet states have struggled to find their feet on the whole, some much more than others. Take Turkmenistan for example.