(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Charlie has posted a game of his earlier today in the Adverts Section against one of our forum members.
Sounds like he is back after the Christmas break and troll prison has opened for new inmates. I think the prison had a left wing and right wing. I'm not sure which one he has extended.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 pm

Boris has announced a target date of 8th March (2021) to start to reopen schools.

That date dovetails exactly with his "open up asap" back-benchers' requests/demands.

A more cautious approach could be to wait until Easter to begin relaxing the rules (from a week ago) -

"The government is said to be eyeing Easter as the moment to start easing tough restrictions for the third national lockdown..."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-l ... 22719.html

This announcement may be a good sign of things to come -
... George Yancopoulos, president and chief scientific officer at Regeneron, said even with the roll out of vaccines, hundreds of thousands of people are still infected with coronavirus daily who were then "actively spreading the virus to their close contacts."

The REGEN-COV antibody cocktail may be able to help break this chain by providing immediate passive immunity to those at high risk of infection, in contrast to active vaccines which take weeks to provide protection," he added.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-brea ... 00880.html

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 pm

John thanks on your latest. Big problem that CEV were not given a call about not shopping for food.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:24 pm

again a postal delay fasting for longer than deities, and maybe wanting to half the weight of uk chess players.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:06 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 pm
One industry where vaccination may be a requirement of taking part:

Anyone going on a Saga holiday or cruise in 2021 must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, the tour operator has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918
Airlines are catching on too...

From Sky News today;
British Airways set to be first UK airline to trial mobile travel health passport

The airline will use the app VeriFLY, which can certify COVID test certificates as well as travel documentation on a traveller's mobile phone.

Trials of the app will begin on 4 February on routes between London and the US, but will be optional.

British Airways said the app would offer a "fast track opportunity" at the airport, allowing travellers to upload their documentation before they leave.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:56 pm

and quarantines...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 pm
It was announced on North West News earlier that the Isle of Man is to go straight into a full Lockdown from 00:01 Thursday.
And out again, which does show what can be done

Borders still closed of course
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:07 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 pm
Boris has announced a target date
He's not your mate, you know.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Suggest a more appropriate appelation if you wish then.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:37 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:06 pm
Suggest a more appropriate appelation if you wish then.
In another thread I took a poster to task for "maligning the Prime Minister". The poster responded by accusing me of spouting drivel.

In fairness, I suspect that the accusation related as much to the first word as to the third and fourth words.

Emails which I receive from the Prime Minister normally address me simply as "David". Here is the start of the most recent:

A Historic Milestone
Boris Johnson [redacted]
Reply-To: [redacted]
To: [email protected]
22 January 2021 at 20:18

The Conservative Party

David,

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 pm

I've heard that John's calling the prime minister "Boris" would be a sign that he isn't his mate, anyway; Johnson's friends call him Alexander.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm

Either "Johnson" or just "the PM" would be fine, and maybe more to the point *in line with almost all past precedent*.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 pm

I'll bear all of the above in mind in future.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 am

John McKenna wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 pm
I'll bear all of the above in mind in future.
I think you're fine. Boris, like Fernando or Beyonce, is generally recognised by his first name - which is of course in his case his second. Doesn't indicate affection or familiarity.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:20 pm

The CzechTour has cancelled Liberec, which was due to start Feb 27: http://www.czechtour.net/news/
A decision on Bad Wörishofen, due to start Mar 5, was promised yesterday but has been postponed to Feb 10: http://chessorg.de/index.php?lang=en. Google Translate of part of the latest announcement reads: "Maybe a postponement to May is conceivable, but we still hope for the original date."