Invisible pieces

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Invisible pieces

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Maybe, and just maybe, none us men here bought it.
I was given a signed copy but a lot of my books have gone missing and I don't seem to have it any more. Which doesn't help you at all.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:33 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Maybe, and just maybe, none us men here bought it.
I was given a signed copy but a lot of my books have gone missing and I don't seem to have it any more. Which doesn't help you at all.
On Kindle you can get a free sample, and the introduction suggests there was a 2013 update to the book.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm

I have a copy of Chess Bitch (but sadly stored elsewhere). It was very good.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Hi Guys,

Still no details from anyone who has 'Chess Bitch.' Maybe, and just maybe, none us men here bought it.

I'll be most annoyed if I have use some of my Christmas book tokens on it.
If I do I'll have to order it and if I can get away with ordering it and not paying for it up front then I will.
I'll pop back in 3 months time to pick it up cheap from the remainder unclaimed books section.
Chess Bitch is one of the best written books on chess I have ever read. Shahade's style is eminently readable (not surprising from a literature graduate), the book is an excellent history of women in chess and the selection of games is well worth the admittance price. I don't find the book provocative at all - the provocation is in the marketing. (Although I imagine some of the ecforum's Ayatollahs might develop an aneurysm at the idea of an outgoing and communicative woman portraying women in chess in a good light.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks Nick and Kevin,

It appears men do buy it but have lost it.

At the prices I've seen quoted I'd lock it up and put a guard dog on it.

Hi Paul,

I think that will work, I'll give a false name and address. A. Steptoe, Oil Drum Lane, Shepherds Bush, London.
I do not fancy adding to my 600+ chess books the most expensive book I'll have just to see if it mentions brain structures. (does it?)
But from what you say it may be worth a shot. (my wife also has a pile of book tokens, I'll use hers...why not!)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm
Gladly -

"... By the time Solomon Lalor Cambie inherited the former Lalor estate at Killoran in the following century he must also have been a Catholic (since he was educated by the Jesuits at Clongowes Wood College)...

https://theirishaesthete.com/2020/11/16/killoran/

(I hope this detour is now over and the thread can return to matters more pertinent to its origins or be closed to further traffic.)
So the connection that just came to your mind turns out to be a Googlewhack. I think I've got your number.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:25 am

You may like to think so, but note it was a "Googlewhack" that you could not do yourself.
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

I have no idea what or where 'Killoran House' is, or what connection - however tenuous - it has with the Jesuits. Google has been no help. Please enlighten me.
For all you know I got the information from a visit to the area.

There's more in Heaven and Earth than dreamed of in your philosophy, Gerard.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Susan Polgar’s public Facebook post today;

‘In my 47+ years in chess, I have been called ugly, stupid, fat, loser, talentless, etc. so many times by many men (and some women), and these are just some of the publishable words. The majority of these people have never met me, or did not know me. The funniest thing is most of these people for sure could not beat a 10 year old me, even if I played them blindfolded!

You have no idea how many people, even in the year of 2020-2021, believe that women belong at home, in the kitchen and in the bedroom. I have been blacklisted, blocked, punished, insulted, and smeared, etc. by many federations and organizations for over 4 decades.

The great news is if I could win the Triple-Crown (world blitz, rapid and classic championships), Team/Individual Olympiad Gold (5), and the World #1 Ranking (when I was just 15), and much more, by being stupid and talentless, then the smarter people should be able to accomplish so much more if they put in the effort.

This is why I refused to let the despicable actions and words slow me down, or stop me. When I am done, I will leave on my own term, and in my own way. But until then, there are still doors and barriers I have to knock down and obliterate, so other women do not have to deal with the garbage I have to deal with, daily. 😁

“Disclaimer: I do not care what people say or think about me. But once in a while, I have to bring it up so other girls and women do not think that they are alone, and the problems they face are unique. Many in the past reached out to me for support, advice and encouragement.”’

Another recent article featuring WFM Alexandra Botez; https://www.insider.com/how-chess-was-m ... it-2020-12

As a later edit, there’s an article in The Times online, but you need a subscription; https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mast ... -rh6fxvwdg