Klara Kasparova

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
ben.graff

Klara Kasparova

Post by ben.graff » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:45 am

Sad news. Garry Kasparov's mother died yesterday. Garry lost his father when he was seven and Klara's unswerving support played a big role in enabling Kasparov to fulfill his potential. Klara was also a very talented engineer.

Many years ago, Kasparov wrote in Child of Change:

"But there can be no doubt that without my mother I could not have become world champion at the early age I did. Her main value is that I can talk to her as I can talk to nobody else. When she says something to me, I know that she says it only for my own good - not because it's good for her, good for chess, good for the rest of the world - just good for me. In a crisis you listen to a voice you have learned to trust over many years."

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/rip-kl ... -confidant
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

MJMcCready

Re: Klara Kasparova

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:29 am

That is sad indeed. I am sure she was greatly loved and will be sadly missed.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:07 pm

She was 83, given that her age has not been mentioned yet.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Do we know what the cause was?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Sad news. Thoughts are with Garry and his family at this difficult time. I've had a brief look at Garry's Twitter feed and his lengthy but excellent tribute to his mother.
It doesn't mention the cause of death.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:27 am

Klara and Garry were indeed very close. In 1986 when Karpov and he shared the Best Game Prize of £10,000 (the only money they received from the event as the main prize money went to Chernobyl), Garry wanted to dance, at the closing ceremony, with the woman rep of the Save & Prosper sponsor of that prize. It was in gold sovereigns in a purse. He lobbed it to his mother, who caught it with ease. Ever since that has symbolised to me the trust in their relationship.