Queens Gambit and Netflix

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Queens Gambit and Netflix

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:39 pm

I suggest you take a day off, MJ.

John Upham

Queens Gambit and Netflix and Young players

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:14 pm

I need your advice...

I'd like to recommend Queen's Gambit to my junior students most of whom are of primary school age.

Are there are moments that parents should be aware of whilst their children are watching?

As you can guess, I've struggled to find the time to watch it but hope to do so. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:34 pm

On this subject Ray has issued forth :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:09 pm

The Queens Gambit has a 15 certificate. You may find the parental guide from IMDb useful. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/p ... tt_stry_pg

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 pm

We watched the 1st episode. Not suitable for children.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

It's actually a bit frustrating: apart from a 2 minute sequence in that first episode (and maybe 2 or 3 other times where a certain word is uttered), the entire series is ok for secondary children. For primary children it depends on parents' tolerance to alcohol and medication abuse and the odd scene or two in bed (nothing graphical).

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am

Series discussed on Breakfast TV this morning (Tuesday).
Suitability for younger children mentioned.
Paul Robert Jackson

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am
Series discussed on Breakfast TV this morning (Tuesday).
Suitability for younger children mentioned.
There were a few unsavoury references to under age sex mentioned in the novel - Jolene and the orderly Fergusson were described as "being kind to each other" and at one point Beth and Jolene have a sexual encounter. Thankfully the series decided to totally skip that out and so yes I'd say the Netflix series is fine, a few mild swear words here and there but I doubt anything which isn't said with regularity in the playground these days.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:49 pm

High praise for the Queens Gambit on Twitter

Hikaru Nakamura
@GMHikaru
#QueensGambit is, without a doubt, the best portrayal of both the chess world and game that I have ever seen.
4:45 am · 11 Nov 2020·Twitter Web App

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:56 pm

I would probably err on the side of No when it comes to suitability for younger children - The sex and swearing might be "mild" by modern standards and possibly more liberal parents might think it is within acceptable boundaries but the drug and alcohol addiction angle is a pretty major part of the story and I just think it is not a subject that they should really be exposed to at that age.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Queens Gambit and Netflix and Young players

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 am

John Upham wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:14 pm
I need your advice...

I'd like to recommend Queen's Gambit to my junior students most of whom are of primary school age.

Are there are moments that parents should be aware of whilst their children are watching?

As you can guess, I've struggled to find the time to watch it but hope to do so. :D
To echo the comments above, unfortunately The Queen's Gambit is completely unsuitable for young children.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 am

Maybe you are right, I suppose in hindsight when I was 13 my favourite thing was acquiring any slasher film I could lay my hands on, on VHS. Didn't do me any harm like... now where's my hockey mask :wink:

In a totally unrelated topic I've just realised the bloke who plays Benny Watt's is the odd looking little kid from Love Actually, Liam Neesons's son in the film, and now I feel very old because I was about 20 when that came out.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Gordon Morse

Post by Gordon Morse » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:17 am

"The Queen's Gambit" breaks a Netflix record:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 60801.html

We watched and enjoyed "The Queen's Gambit" so the Netflix app recommended "The Crown" to us - the royal connection no doubt. "The Crown" is very enjoyable too and would doubtless have boosted its audience with a few chess scenes!
I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:42 pm

Interesting discussion with Jonathan Rowson: https://en.chessbase.com/post/jonathan- ... n-s-gambit

He has also created a 35 minute video which I haven't watched yet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcP-pyfw2s

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:56 am

I'm very disappointed by the reaction to it in the chess world. It seems as though people just want to jump on the bandwagon for their own intent and purposes. Since chess players are not as deplorable as groupies nor born again christians, both also very good at just jumping on the bandwagon with language which is at its best grandiloquent, it's rather sad considering chess is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit. The manner in which chess is portrayed is nauseating, the prominence of gauging reactions over moves played at best laughable. It's not a very realistic depiction of OTB chess at all and the reaction to it is, overall, meek indeed. It doesn't look as though it was written for chess players which makes its reception in the chess world rather perplexing. I get the impression that no one dares say what they really think because they wont get so many likes or something.