Ian Thackray

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Jon Mahony

Re: Ian Thackray

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:23 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:09 pm

On the Yorkshire Chess Association website. The Steve Mann tribute under notices mentions is age was 49 when he passed away. Ian was born on the 25th August 1971.
Was he really? He was very boyish looking was Ian, it must have made his age deceptive to me. Still no age to go at all, very horrible year.
He was only a couple of years older than me.
I will miss Ian a lot.
Good to see you back on the forum Jon.
We have played each other a few times at various North of England Congresses. I only joined the forum back in April. I have been gradually reading your past posts especially on Chess Questions.
Yeah I will as well Simon, really good guy.

And yes your name is familiar to me, though I confess I’m struggling to put a face to it. I’m hoping to get back in person after the virus so hopefully we will play again :) I wouldn’t waste your time reading the past rubbish I’ll have posted on here though!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm
In his notice on the YCA site Steve Mann makes the important note that Ian's late mother, Patricia Thackray, was active as a chess players in the 1990s making a rare mother/ son combination.
In the 1984 BCM, page 195

Blackpool -

The Ladies prize was won by P. Thackray.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:49 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 am

The Hunt family (Caro, Harriet and Adam) would perhaps be the best known example.
Susan and Peter Lalic was my first thought.
Jana and Chris Bellin were regular players in the Walsall team in both the Birmingham & Wolverhampton leagues before the lockdown.
There is also the Haslinger family from Formby. I think there are six of them in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 am

Also the Buckley family from Bath (or thereabouts)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Ian was a great guy, someone I always enjoyed seeing at league matches, congresses and other chess events. As Ihor says, he was a really friendly guy, great fun to be around and always took the time to have a chat. He will be sadly missed by the Bradford, Leeds, Yorkshire and wider chess community.

Kevin Greenacre

Post by Kevin Greenacre » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Very sorry to hear the sad news of Ian's passing, I knew him from Civil Service chess and enjoyed chatting with him when I saw him. He was a really friendly guy and we had some good games.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Was he really? He was very boyish looking was Ian, it must have made his age deceptive to me. Still no age to go at all, very horrible year.
He was only a couple of years older than me.
I will miss Ian a lot.
Good to see you back on the forum Jon.
We have played each other a few times at various North of England Congresses. I only joined the forum back in April. I have been gradually reading your past posts especially on Chess Questions.
Yeah I will as well Simon, really good guy.

And yes your name is familiar to me, though I confess I’m struggling to put a face to it. I’m hoping to get back in person after the virus so hopefully we will play again :) I wouldn’t waste your time reading the past rubbish I’ll have posted on here though!
It will be good to have a catch up and natter with you Jon.
I've been having a look at our most recent games.
Tough battles.
We've played at the British Rapidlplay in Leeds and I think possibly at Preston or Blackpool.
I'll send you a PM. I think I've got your mobile number somewhere.
I used to photocopy the Leeds Chess Congress entry forms and take them to Poulton Chess Club.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:26 pm

I have been asked to add the sad news that Ian Thackray's father did not long survive the death of his son and a joint funeral was held on 10th December.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Rich Archer

Post by Rich Archer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm

Ian will be sadly missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.