Ian Thackray

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ihor Lewyk

Ian Thackray

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:36 pm

It is with sad and heavy heart that I report that my good friend, Ian Thackray, passed away earlier this week.

Ian was the long time captain of one of the Rose Forgrove teams based in Leeds, a club he joined as a young junior in the nineties.
He also played for Bradford Chess Club and was a supporter of Civil Service Chess.

He loved playing team chess and the camaraderie and bonding this brought about. Ian was one of the friendliest faces in the chess world and had a lovely dry sense of humour. He was all about the social aspect of chess and made some great friends over the years. Ian will leave a big void in the West Yorkshire chess scene and will be greatly missed by many that had the privilege to share some time, a pint and a laugh with him.
Last edited by Ihor Lewyk on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Ian Thackray

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:58 pm

That is really sad and he was way too young. Condolences to friends and family.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:51 pm

Very sorry to hear this news. I didn't know Ian well but I corresponded with him when he sent in the results for his club and we played once at York. My thoughts are with his family.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:29 pm

I can't believe it. A terrible shock. I played him a couple of times on the North of England congress scene.
I always made an effort to say hello to Ian, when I saw him at a Congress.
He was only a couple of years older than me.
I think he was born in 1971.
Thoughts are with his family, friends and Chess club colleagues.
RIP

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:30 pm

It is always very sad when someone dies too young. :( That is a lovely heartfelt tribute from Ihor. Condolences to his friends and family. RIP.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm

In his notice on the YCA site Steve Mann makes the important note that Ian's late mother, Patricia Thackray, was active as a chess players in the 1990s making a rare mother/ son combination.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:03 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm
Ian's late mother, Patricia Thackray, was active as a chess players in the 1990s making a rare mother/ son combination.
Yes, a rare phenomenon indeed. I've personally encountered only one other example.

Were Ian and Patricia any relation to the late singer-songwriter Jake Thackray? He came from their part of the world too.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 am

John Clarke wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:03 am
Yes, a rare phenomenon indeed. I've personally encountered only one other example.
The Hunt family (Caro, Harriet and Adam) would perhaps be the best known example.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 am

My god what a shock!

I knew Ian quite well at one time (though we hadn't been in touch for few years due to my hiatus from the game) and we would have a pint and a chat on a Saturday afternoon, at the local pub we both lived quite near, after we had finished our match in the Yorkshire League.

A very young man indeed (at most 45?) I am truly stunned.

I also met his mum once, at the British rapid play, she seemed a very amiable lady.

RIP Ian.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:49 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 am
John Clarke wrote:
The Hunt family (Caro, Harriet and Adam) would perhaps be the best known example.
Susan and Peter Lalic was my first thought.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:49 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 am
John Clarke wrote:
Susan and Peter Lalic was my first thought.
Jana and Chris Bellin were regular players in the Walsall team in both the Birmingham & Wolverhampton leagues before the lockdown.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:44 am
My god what a shock!

I knew Ian quite well at one time (though we hadn't been in touch for few years due to my hiatus from the game) and we would have a pint and a chat on a Saturday afternoon, at the local pub we both lived quite near, after we had finished our match in the Yorkshire League.

I also met his mum once, at the British rapid play, she seemed a very amiable lady.

RIP Ian.
On the Yorkshire Chess Association website. The Steve Mann tribute under notices mentions is age was 49 when he passed away. Ian was born on the 25th August 1971.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:41 pm

I don't want to detract from reflecting on Ian's passing which has left Yorkshire Chess in shock. However regarding the question of `Mums and Sons` there are examples of chess playing families where both parents play or women masters with chess playing sons. However grassroots examples of a parent/ child partnership where the mother was the player are much rarer.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:09 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
My god what a shock!

RIP Ian.
On the Yorkshire Chess Association website. The Steve Mann tribute under notices mentions is age was 49 when he passed away. Ian was born on the 25th August 1971.
Was he really? He was very boyish looking was Ian, it must have made his age deceptive to me. Still no age to go at all, very horrible year.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:23 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:09 pm
Jon Mahony wrote:
My god what a shock!

RIP Ian.
Was he really? He was very boyish looking was Ian, it must have made his age deceptive to me. Still no age to go at all, very horrible year.
He was only a couple of years older than me.
I will miss Ian a lot.
Good to see you back on the forum Jon.
We have played each other a few times at various North of England Congresses. I only joined the forum back in April. I have been gradually reading your past posts especially on Chess Questions.