John Calvert

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Neil Graham

John Calvert

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:05 pm

John Calvert (1945-2020)

A message in the New Mechanics Newsletter, Nottingham states that John Calvert, who was a Council member and Director at the Mechanics has passed away.

John will be known to many congress goers here as a regular at the British Championships and at Hastings though always in the lowest sections.
Unfailingly courteous, John was also a member of the Liberal Democrat party and had spoken at party conferences. He stood as a candidate on many occasions in his local area but in a suburb dominated by Labour never succeeded in gaining a seat.

Alex McFarlane

Re: John Calvert

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:20 pm

As Neil says, John was a regular at Hastings. He was always one of the last to leave, watching the last Master's game to its bitter end.

He was always willing to help the staff clear up the detritus left by the other competitors. At the end of the event he would always request a paper printout of his tournament.

John was someone who loved to play chess even though it was always at the lower end.

Always helpful and cheerful, another character who will be missed.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Delightfully old-fashioned guy who remained immaculate in jacket and tie even in summer at the British Championships. He usually invited me to be in his quiz team at the British and it was a pleasure to spend the evening with someone so gentle and polite.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:59 pm

I never met him but saw him at events. He was a distinctive figure and it's sad to hear that he is no longer with us.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 pm

I have four pictures of John over the years sporting the same jacket but a varying number of badges.

A real enthusiast and supporter of chess.

Here is one from Aberystwyth 2014, Day 13 :

jb4_9263_lv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:37 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 pm
I have four pictures of John over the years sporting the same jacket but a varying number of badges.

That's an excellent picture of John Calvert, John. It would be good if possible to include photos in other obituaries.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:37 pm
John Upham wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 pm

That's an excellent picture of John Calvert, John. It would be good if possible to include photos in other obituaries.
Thanks. I do when the obit appears in BCN.

Coming up : Joseph Blackburne of whom I only have other photographers images !

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Another picture of John from Hastings 2013-2014

juz_3484_lv.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:11 pm

And another from the 2013 British :

_jua6313_lv.jpg

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:10 pm
Another picture of John from Hastings 2013-2014

juz_3484_lv.jpg
And on the left is my old school pal, Nigel Dennis, of Berkshire. He was for a long time the receiver of entries for the Winton British Championship problem solving competition. Not many can claim to have had so many mentions of their name and home address in The Times and other national newspapers when the 'mate in two' starter problem was advertised. Sorry if this is straying from John Calvert, but he certainly wouldn't have objected.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:00 am

Very sad to hear this news. Played John a few times but will remember him most as the guy who out stayed me at Hastings every year. As I also used to watch all the games till the bitter end in 2012-2016 ish.

Always friendly and polite and always said Hello to me and shook my hand when he saw me. Will miss him at British and Hastings in future 😞
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:58 pm

Could I now add some more details?

John died at home on 4th August 2020. His death has not yet been registered as no one could be found to make arrangements. His case was passed to the Nottingham City Council at the end of September and their cremations manager is now dealing with this under Section 46 of the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984. They have found that John has a sister but there has been no contact between them for at least 50 years and she wishes to have nothing whatsoever to do with a funeral. The Council Officer will be registering the death sometime in the next week with the funeral to follow between 5 to 14 days thereafter. Unfortunately his house was cleared totally by a "void team" before the officer concerned could look for any documents there. As far as can be ascertained there was no will nor is there any estate to pay for the funeral.

I have liaised with all interested parties, in particular with John's church, the Nottingham Unitarians, who will organise a church service prior to cremation. Nottingham is under Tier 2 at the moment and will certainly be under Tier 3 by the time any funeral is arranged so a maximum of 30 mourners will be allowed.

I have now opened a "JustGiving" appeal here :- https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/neil-graham-1 to assist in raising money for John's funeral.

Could I ask those people who knew John if they could make a small contribution which could help. Could you also post this on any Facebook/Twitter pages you have in the chess playing community and pass on to anyone who might have known John. Could I also take this opportunity to thank John Upham whose photograph I acknowledge has been used in this appeal.

Anyone who wishes to know anything further please contact me by personal message. I will advise on how things are progressing via this thread.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Very sad to learn the news about John Calvert. He was a real chess supporter.

RIP John

I can't keep up with so many deaths.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 pm

RIP John

There have been over 60 deaths reported in 2020 on this forum to date - in 2019 there were less than 30.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 pm

RIP John

There have been over 60 deaths reported in 2020 on this forum to date - in 2019 there were less than 30.
Sadly, I reported 25 of them, all since the end of April.
I'm afraid I have another to report.
It has been a terrible year.