Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by John Upham » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Do we have any intelligence about the holders of proxy votes?

Who are they?

How many votes do they hold?

What are their voting intentions?

I realise this is mostly conjecture and speculation but we might have some collective idea I suppose...

This forum is the nearest thing we have to "Sensible Party Election HQ"

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Night_Special :lol:
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Buswell
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:41 pm

I haven't bothered to delve into the ECF site, but I surmise that a look at the list of those attending the April Finance Council and the last ECF Annual Council will give many clues.

PB

PS don't necessarily count me in with the Sensible Party!


Scott Freeman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Scott Freeman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 pm

CCF has 4 votes it would like to be used and have specific requests on certain elections. Howard will be away so cannot attend and I have the much more interesting job of being paid to attend the Aston Villa v Chelsea match that day (rather than sit through an ECF meeting!). Currently I can't find anyone appropriate to take our votes. If anyone wants to tell me (privately and very quickly (as I am off to Ukraine for 48 hours at the crack of dawn tomorrow) on [email protected] please) who they'd be supporting in the elections and it matches what we want to see voted, I'd be pleased to sign them over...... Mind you, I could alternatively auction them off on ebay. Judging by the manoevering that's going on, I could earn a fair bit from them. :lol:

Scott Freeman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Scott Freeman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone. I really should have sold them on ebay!!!!! They have been assigned.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Scott Freeman wrote:Thanks everyone. I really should have sold them on ebay!!!!! They have been assigned.
Forum power again was it :idea:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1634
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Who u voting for Scott.
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks

Scott Freeman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Scott Freeman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:17 am

Hi Ben

Sorry I have taken so long in replying - been in Ukraine with England dodging the flares and watching David Beckham's despressed face (not in the squad!) as he sat in the crowd watching not too far from me. Nice trip aside of the result. Had a wonderful view from the hotel room overlooking the river! Pity the room quality didn't match the view!!! :? On that subject of dodging flares, can anyone explain how one of my colleagues from Thomson Sport had a tube of pringles confiscated by the police on entry, yet how many flares got into the ground at the other end? Must be dangerous things those pringles!!!

Re the elections, I wasn't sure whether to reply or not as once you do, you nail your colours to the mast and hate you for it. And then I though I am probably hated anyway, so what have I got to lose....? Some of our votes will be controversial - just for a change, eh? The key ones - yes to Sean Hewitt and John Wickham (NOT Alan Martin!) for non-exec directors. I am torn on the ECF delegate issue as although I like the idea of someone like Nigel Short, Gerry has been very good to us over the years and very helpful and I don't feel I want to vote against him. Despite what others say to me, I have always found him to be a genuine person and full of helpful advice. Definitely C-J for President. Don't know the other guy anyway.

Adam Raoof for Home Chess. No problem with Chris Majer - I know a lot has been said over the Chess for Schools issue but I feel he stepped into a difficult system and has done his best. I remember how he and his team put the grading back together a few years ago and I feel there are too many short memories. He is a volunteer after all.

We will be voting "note of the above" on the junior post, although I get the impression that Peter Purland has done good in some eyes. However, I remember an EPSCA meeting when Mr Basman was allowed to say something that incorrectly led the meeting to believe I had taken a certain questionable action (no details unless anyone wants them). All I wanted to do (without going into it) was to state in 2 sentences that what Mr Basman had stated wasn't true (and he knew it!) and that I could provide proof. That's all I wanted to say - I wasn't planning to go into details, yet Mr Purland shouted me down and wouldn't let me speak beyond the first 6-7 words. So much for fair play and the truth being the most important issue at allegedly democratic meetings! Why was one person allowed to speak and say something and then I was prevented from speaking the truth in reply?

Since then, I feel Peter has been part of the camp that wanted to ensure that we could not become part of EPSCA. Fair enough if he has done good work, but on that basis of our personal experience of him as a person, I don't feel it appropriate to vote for him and he is clearly (in my opinion) not a man that will entertain views beyond his own (others have said similar things to me after dealing with him). I know people think the same of me but that is actually not true. In fact I am very good at assessing other views and understanding why people hold their views - and I will listen to any opinion and consider it albeit that I a confess to being dogmatic on my own views until persuaded otherwise. But is that really different to most people?

All I ever wanted was a fair hearing and equal chance to voice my opinion. I have always done it fairly and where I have had evidence to back it up. Yes I do it vociferously, but isn't that what democracy is all about? Too often, those in post use their post to try and silence others on the outside whose views are just as valid. I trust that the new incumbants of the ECF posts will enable such freedom of speech and that this freedom might filter down to county level where there are similar problems (certainly in our arena). So that's why I feel Mr Nobody would be better than Mr Purland.

Here endeth the results from the Coulsdon jury. Peter Wilson has agreed to take our votes and look after them accordingly.

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 pm

On the Peter Purland points, as a junior i have found the events organised by him to be consistently good, and i would support him wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, as i have no wote, it's all a little pointless, but hey (Y)
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Scott Freeman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Scott Freeman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:31 pm

I too have heard good reports but I have also heard concerning issues as well. I am sure you are right about his organisation capabilities and I would love to be in a position to work with him. He just doesn't seem to like us.....

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 pm

In my personal experience, i know of no junior, nor parents of juniors, that have had any trouble with him. This is not to say that no-one has, just that the vast majority haven't.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Peter Sowray
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by Peter Sowray » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:On the Peter Purland points, as a junior i have found the events organised by him to be consistently good, and i would support him wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, as i have no wote, it's all a little pointless, but hey (Y)

Dear Rob,

Sadly, I don't have a vote either ... but if I did, mine would cancel yours out.

Kind regards,

Peter

raycollett
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by raycollett » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Adam Raoof for Home Chess. No problem with Chris Majer - I know a lot has been said over the Chess for Schools issue but I feel he stepped into a difficult system and has done his best. I remember how he and his team put the grading back together a few years ago and I feel there are too many short memories. He is a volunteer after all.
They are ALL voluneers!

Reagards - Ray

raycollett
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by raycollett » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Peter,
I was sat next to a delegate at the last Council meeting who held a number of proxies. The delegate consulted a sheaf of e-mails before marking his ballot. We're not infallible, but we try our best to represent the views of those we represent.
Regards - Ray

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8385
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Proxy votes : Who is holding them?

Post by John Upham » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:56 pm

raycollett wrote:
They are ALL voluneers!

Reagards - Ray
Not true : some members of the rating team receive payment. It is not clear to me if these payments are expenses or salaries. I'm confident that if the latter then the ECF are complying with aspects of employment law WRT the minimum wage. If expenses, then what are these exactly?

Maybe there are other options but I'm not sure what they are.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Post Reply