Page 1 of 2
Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Ok, the hosting provider is
officially rubbish and I need to take action at the weekend - a full time and rather hectic job prevents sorting things out any faster than that sorry
That is three days now of unacceptable service
Only the grading site which is on an alternate box has remained working during this outage!
It hard work this

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 pm
by Steve Henderson
Can you name the hosting provider so we can keep away from them as well

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Steve Henderson wrote:Can you name the hosting provider so we can keep away from them as well

I have used them for seven years but they are not what they once were
I am getting to that "age" where nothing is ever as good as I remember - but three days with loss of service for four hours plus is no longer what I consider acceptable
A dedicated box at around £650 a year isn't on the cards (of course...) but an alternate provider is an option
Watch this space

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:07 pm
by John Upham
I'd recommend Zen Internet. Very very good.
http://www.zen.co.uk/
I liked the product so much I nearly bought the company!
Who said that??
I've been seeing network timeouts, MySQL errors, the works over the last few days. Time for some more bandwidth methinks! Stop the throttling.
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:I'd recommend Zen Internet. Very very good.
http://www.zen.co.uk/
I liked the product so much I nearly bought the company!
Who said that??
For hosting as well then John?
In total I do "generate" more traffic than the average web site!
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 pm
by John Upham
Talk to them. They are very flexible. Response times to faults are excellent. They talk to you and can understand techno speak. No bollox call centres. Real Unix & Linux people and, if you must, WIndoze.
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:Talk to them. They are very flexible. Response times to faults are excellent. They talk to you and can understand techno speak. No bollox call centres. Real Unix & Linux people and, if you must, WIndoze.
Thottling - you are having a laugh
I do (in total...) use around 45gig of bandwidth a month over all sites which is a tad more than normal

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 am
by Carl Hibbard
No warnings or alerts etc. overnight so it's now finger crossed time - let's hope for better service today!
Thanks for the kind words I have also received in emails

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Words now fail me (apart from rather rude ones...) so it look like a switch to another provider or extra work sometime this weekend
Sorry

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 pm
by John Upham
I'm seeing a number of
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Unknown MySQL server host 'mysql4db-1.gradwell.net' (2) [2005]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
type errors right now.
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 pm
by John Upham
and
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access <random uri>on this server.
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:51 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Upham wrote:and
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access <random uri>on this server.
I am aware and yes the hosting service provider is still bad!
New box is in place and I have set most of it up - just haven't tested everything yet, should switch tomorrow sometime
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:22 am
by Carl Hibbard
The switch to a new server and provider is complete
I have tested most things but PLEASE let me know as soon as possible if you see anything that even vaguely looks out of order
This is important!
As it the speed and quality of service now also let me know your thoughts on that!
Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 am
by Carl Hibbard
Seems a bit faster to me

Re: Rubbish Service
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:47 am
by John Upham
Response times from the initial GET look quicker. Not sure that the execution time on the server is any quicker : not easy to tell.
I'm going to spider the entire site and measure how long it takes.