New Year 2009 Forum resolution

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
John Upham

New Year 2009 Forum resolution

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:48 pm

I'd like to make a small request for a ceasing of hostilities and abuse on this forum. Whenever a thread becomes sidetracked and polluted with unpleasantness I loose the will to carry on reading. If we want more people to join this forum (and I trust we all want this) then a lively a friendly forum is the way forward. 8)

I suspect some posters may be wary of the prospect of a tirade of abuse for simply having an opinion. That is the quickest way to kill a forum. :cry:

What *did* the Romans do for us?

So, let's drink to lively and productive debate in 2009! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Re: New Year 2009 Forum resolution

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:02 pm

John Upham wrote:So, let's drink to lively and productive debate in 2009! :D
A good idea, plus it's a lot less work for me as I do have a full time job to do as well!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 pm

I'd like to make a small request for a ceasing of hostilities and abuse on this forum. Whenever a thread becomes sidetracked and polluted with unpleasantness I loose the will to carry on reading.
I agree. I do hope you don't mean that sarcasm should be banned from the surgeon's medical bag, as well: throwing the baby out with the bath water is usually is poor cure for drowning. Some of the recent purely personal attacks, though, have seemed intolerable.
I suspect some posters may be wary of the prospect of a tirade of abuse for simply having an opinion. That is the quickest way to kill a forum.
True. I'm usually wary of internet fora, due to their high nutter quotient. This one, happily seems relatively tame, and generally keeps to the matter at hand too. I like it and find it relevant. Needs more posters, though, before it can claim to be representative.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:23 am

John Upham wrote: I suspect some posters may be wary of the prospect of a tirade of abuse for simply having an opinion. That is the quickest way to kill a forum. :cry:
Well said!
I'd like to make a small request for a ceasing of hostilities and abuse on this forum. Whenever a thread becomes sidetracked and polluted with unpleasantness I loose the will to carry on reading.
Also, ECF Board and management appointees, whose opinions we try to inflence, will be less likely to read the forum.

Regards - Ray

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 am

I will try my best to behave. :)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:35 am

John Upham wrote:I'd like to make a small request for a ceasing of hostilities and abuse on this forum. Whenever a thread becomes sidetracked and polluted with unpleasantness I loose the will to carry on reading. If we want more people to join this forum (and I trust we all want this) then a lively a friendly forum is the way forward. 8)

I suspect some posters may be wary of the prospect of a tirade of abuse for simply having an opinion. That is the quickest way to kill a forum. :cry:

What *did* the Romans do for us?

So, let's drink to lively and productive debate in 2009! :D

Well Said John!

I could not agree more with you, abuse and bad language is not appropriate would certainly not make new people that are registering feel welcome.

Matt. :) :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

We hit four during the week!!

Board started: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:45 pm
Cheers
Carl Hibbard