Post signatures back-dating?

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Christopher Kreuzer

Post signatures back-dating?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:33 pm

I noticed when looking through some old threads that the signatures to people's posts seem to update even on the old threads. In other words, when people change the signatures on their posts, it seems to change the signatures on all their old posts as well. I've sent a message to the person whose post I spotted this on, but wanted to flag up the issue here. In some cases, what people put on their signatures now might not be what they want to appear on posts they made in the past.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Post signatures back-dating?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 pm

The point of a signature, as I understand it, is that it's not attached to a post, as such - rather, it's attached to your identity at that time. If you don't want something in your signature attached to an old post, it probably shouldn't be going in your signature in the first place.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:53 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The point of a signature, as I understand it, is that it's not attached to a post, as such - rather, it's attached to your identity at that time. If you don't want something in your signature attached to an old post, it probably shouldn't be going in your signature in the first place.
Then that might be a problem for those that include job or position titles in their signatures. These change as people arrive in or leave positions (think of several ECF people who post here). What the signatures should really be showing is the job title they held at the time they made the post. And I suspect many people who update their signatures are not aware that the changes propagate back over all the old posts they've made.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:39 pm

It has and will always work that way but as long as people are aware that it occurs I think that is fine?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard