Page 1 of 2
One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open letter.
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:51 am
by Simon Spivack
Dear Carl,
Is it possible to establish a romper room in these fora? A filter for use when not logged in would serve equally well.
It is not too hard to work out whose posts merit such treatment.
Many thanks,
yours sincerely,
Simon.
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 am
by Carl Hibbard
Simon Spivack wrote:It is not too hard to work out whose posts merit such treatment.
For now lets try to stick with using the red exclamation button to complain about such posts and then let me try to judge them on merit etc.
Well let's at least try that first

Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 am
by John Saunders
Carl
I second Simon's motion. In the last day or so the forum has been awash with incomprehensible drivel from Matt Ward. He seeks our views on subjects which have already been debated at enormous length, then having lured us into replying, regales us with his own half-baked opinions based on ignorance (which he blithely admits to) and blind prejudice. As Paul has said in another thread, he is driving us all berserk. The man is a troll. A number of other threads were developing very nicely until yesterday but now this logorrhoeic loony has drawn attention away from them. Can normal service be resumed, please? If it can't, I'm afraid I for one shall not be taking any further part in any thread in which his name appears. I realise that that might not necessarily be viewed as a bad thing...
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 am
by Neill Cooper
Carl Hibbard wrote:For now lets try to stick with using the red exclamation button to complain about such posts
Ah, I did not know about that. I might have used it quite a bit in the last 24 hours!
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:18 am
by matt_ward
John saunders, I take personal offence to that purely because I have not done anything wrong I have purely stated my opinions in a fair and polite way; I would suggest you take those remarks back. As there is no evidence to support your claim.
matt
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:26 am
by Carl Hibbard
matt_ward wrote:John saunders, I take personal offence to that purely because I have not done anything wrong I have purely stated my opinions in a fair and polite way; I woul suggest you take those remarks back. As there is no evidence to support your claim.
You need to actually read the thread's before posting Matt as some of your comments are not adding to the debate but purely repeating points that have already been made - we need to try and both keep on topic and attempt to add something to comments that have already been made please
John's comments were perhaps a little strong but also you need to have something to say rather than just posting because you can!
I wish I hadn't mentioned the "report a post" button now

Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:29 am
by matt_ward
Ok I appreciate that, However I am not posting on the basis because I can I am new hear as you know I havn't used this site before, if You like I won't post anything again. I didn't mean to do threads that have already been done apologises for that.
Cheers Matt.
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:07 am
by Matt Mackenzie
My fellow Matt, we are all happy for you to post here - as long as you take the advice offered above
All the best, mate

Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 am
by matt_ward
I asure you I will take it on board I didn't mean any harm and I apologise if I came across arrogant or ignorant, I can asure you I didn't mean to perpetrate my character or my actions in this manner.
Matt.
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am
by Richard Bates
Post as much as you like, but PLEASE can you accept your limitations with the language and run your posts through a basic spelling and, especially, grammar checker first? I'm afraid you simply don't seem to appreciate that for the most part it is near impossible to understand what views you are trying to express!
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 am
by John Upham
Richard Bates wrote:run your posts through a basic spelling and, especially, grammer checker first?
Richard,
I assume your use of grammer rather than grammar was intended to be an example of irony!

or a posting that could have been made prior to noon on April 1st.
Anyway, I saw your joke even if no-one wanted to admit it.
See
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic31228.html
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am
by Richard Bates
John Upham wrote:Richard Bates wrote:run your posts through a basic spelling and, especially, grammar checker first?
Richard,
I assume your use of grammer rather than grammar was intended to be an example of irony!

or a posting that could have been made prior to noon on April 1st.
Anyway, I saw your joke even if no-one wanted to admit it.
See
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic31228.html
Lol - I did have a brief debate with myself about which was correct - bit careless not to take my own advice!
ps. isn't the edit function great?
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:01 pm
by matt_ward
Richard I do not understand why you're saying my English is that bad I am totally baffled by it, You're being so pedantic over nothing!
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 pm
by Ben Purton
My English is far from perfect, but it was mainly due to not bothering to check it rather than my dyslexia. In fact here are some quotes about my English from random forum members.
"Drivel"- Paul
"Poor"- Simon
I am pretty sure my posts have become more readable in the last year.
Mainly due to checking them. I have had some academic work published in journals so I must be able to write to an acceptable standard.
My advice to Matt is to use Firefox and then read through it to see if it makes sense to him.
Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 pm
by David Sedgwick
matt_ward wrote:Richard I do not understand why you're saying my English is that bad I am totally baffled by it, You're being so pedantic over nothing!
Matt, I'm sorry, but I agree completely with Richard.
There are three established regulars on this Forum whose posts I usually skip because I simply can't follow what they're saying without a disproportionate amount of effort. Over the last couple of days you've become a fourth member of my list.
If you make fewer posts, but devote more time and consideration to each post you do make, most of the hostility being directed at you will disappear.