European Youth Chess Championship 18-26 August

National developments, strategies and ideas.
LawrenceCooper

Re: European Youth Chess Championship 18-26 August

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Round 8 results & round 9 pairings: http://www.chess-results.com/tnr233634. ... =30&wi=821

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:45 am

Round 8 report from Anand Verma:

We are nearing the end of EYCC 2016 and the last round is today is at 1pm. Day 8 saw the players secure 12 points. We had unfortunate losses on our top two boards when we were expecting good finishes. Nishchal fell to a gambit where as black he was crammed for space and his opponent played a nice line to limit his chances. Jacob was playing equal but lost a piece towards the end of middle game and had to resign. Nishchal will today be on a live board in the U8 section.

We have Jacob Yoon on 5.5, Koby Kalavannan, Julia Volovich, Anita Somton and Aditya Verma on 5 points.

It is unfortunate that Jake Holton in the U16 section had to withdraw in the last two rounds since he fell ill. There have been challenges with the logistics but that is a story for another day.

We are having a team meeting before the prize giving and the closing ceremony and fingers crossed, we are looking for some good wins today to ensure a strong finish and age group prizes for England.

Please follow Nishchal on his live board today:

http://www.eycc2016.eu/games/live-coverage/b8-g8-live/
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Round nine report from Anand Verma:

On the final day we scored 10.5 points. Nishchal Thatte, our only medal hopeful, lost on board 3 in under 8 section and ended the tournament with 6 points. We also had a strong finish from Jacob Yoon in the U10 section where he scored 5.5.

Alex Golding had the best win of the day over an opponent roughly 200 rating points above him. Other winners were Shlok Verma in the U8 section, Giulio Sahinoz in the U10, Nilomi Desai in the Under 12, James Golding and Ximan Mao in the U16 and Victoria Sit in the U18 section.

Laura Davidson, Thivyaa Rahulan, Radha Ratnesan, Stephen Whatley, Daniel Gallagher, Aman Gogna and Ezra Brass shared points. It was encouraging to see half of our squad on a 50 percent score or more.

Transfers to the UK begin tomorrow and I would like to wish a safe flight back home to our players and coaches.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.