England U-18 World Championship Trials

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

England U-18 World Championship Trials

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am

The England U-18 World Championship Trials took place on March 7-8, 2009.

Does anyone know the outcomes?

I believe James Adair had a superb result but am not sure where to locate the details.

I was hoping that the ECF site would have had results....
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brent Smith

Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials

Post by Brent Smith » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:02 am

Results for Berkshire players can be found at the reliably parochial BJCA website - http://www.bjca.org.uk/results.php?eid=1278

Sadly, not all results for junior chess tournaments are published. I can't find anything about this year's South of England Championships for example.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 am

Brent Smith wrote: Sadly, not all results for junior chess tournaments are published. I can't find anything about this year's South of England Championships for example.
Joe French has all of the results at his fingertips... [email protected], 01256-472537

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 am

It is really a shame that the ECF is so poor and slow in posting important junior results. Instead of referring to Mr French's email and telephone why not persuade him to give the results to the ECF website? After all under the new regime the South of England championships are one of the official qualifying competitions leading to selection for the world youth champiosnhips.

In contrast the ECF alternate International Director, Lawrence Cooper, is doing an exemplary job with his detailed weekly postings of the latest international results by England players.
Last edited by Leonard Barden on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brent Smith

Post by Brent Smith » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am

Joe French has all of the results at his fingertips... [email protected], 01256-472537
I may ask Joe (who, bless him, is not the most wired-up of people), but I suspect that the Berks crowd did Swindon rather than Yateley this year. Normally, someone who played would let me know their results.

I know I'm a bit OTT on the number of results on the Berks Junior website, but I'd still like to see results for the bigger junior events on the web somewhere (I just noticed Leonard's post above, and he clearly feels the same). Perhaps there's a need for a www.englishjuniorchessresults.com site.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm

I am grateful to several sources for providing this top secret information :

World Trial Winners, 2009

U 18 Boys James Adair

U16 Boys Yang Fan Zhou

U14 Boys Felix Ynojosa

U12 Boys James Bowler

U10 Boys Ravi Haria

U18 Girls Katie Hale

U16 Girls Astghik Stepanyan

U14 Girls Radha Jain

U12 Girls Natasha Bogoda

U10 Girls Anna Wang

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Detailed results from Yateley can be found in the March 2009 ' Right Move', downloadable from this site.

Results from the World Trials will be published in the upcoming April number

Andrew

Brent Smith

Post by Brent Smith » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 am

andrew martin wrote:Detailed results from Yateley can be found in the March 2009 ' Right Move', downloadable from this site.

Results from the World Trials will be published in the upcoming April number

Andrew
Thanks for the pointer Andrew. There <I>were</I> a couple of Berks players in there after all - I shall be asking questions as to why I wasn't told :)

Were there only two sections (U10 Closed, and U12 Closed)? No Open sections, or older or younger age groups? The entry numbers were small enough to make reading the results not a problem, but any reason why they are sorted by PIN, rather than final position?

It would still be nice to see all the results for these events, which are part of the JRT GP. Wilts have published the West of England results, and London Juniors are available (very quickly, IIRC).

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am

The Yateley U14 results are in Rightmove, Brent, but you have to scroll further down the text to find them.

Brent Smith

Post by Brent Smith » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Ah yes, so they are. I confess I did not read all the way to the bottom. At the risk of repeating myself, it's still not an ideal way to publish results in this day and age. If others agree, I would be happy to put some work in on a website / database of results, based on the work I did for the Berks junior one (www.bjca.org.uk)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Brent Smith wrote:Ah yes, so they are. I confess I did not read all the way to the bottom. At the risk of repeating myself, it's still not an ideal way to publish results in this day and age. If others agree, I would be happy to put some work in on a website / database of results, based on the work I did for the Berks junior one (http://www.bjca.org.uk)

Brent,

Might I suggest that you discuss this with Duncan Burbidge, [email protected] ??

We have discussed a major revamp the ECFs Internet offerings and an aggregated Junior results service would be an excellent addition.

Just a thought?

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am

Having waited patiently for the April Rightmove and just viewed it, I find it very disappointing that only the bare names of the winners (already provided earlier in this thread) are published, in contrast to the acres of space given over to the junior 4NCL.

Andrew Martin and the junior director, why haven't you published the full crosstables or at least a list of all entrants and their final scores, which is the minimum one should expect from a world championship qualifier? Followers of junior chess should be able to see how competitive (or otherwise) the entry was, who failed and who didn't play. The ECF website also still doesn't even give the winners, let alone the full required information.

This leaves a poor impression.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Leonard

Claire Summerscale put in a great deal of effort to produce the comprehensive Junior 4NCL reports that Andrew was able to include in the magazine with little or no editing. No doubt Peter Purland as ECF junior director could have done something similar if he had been so minded.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 pm

............and while on the subject, maybe a vote of thanks to Claire for her excellent Junior 4NCL reports would be in order............

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Responding to Leonard I publish what I am given.

I am not disposed to alter or abbreviate any report unless absolutely necessary.

The junior 4ncl is an exciting new development and deserves full recognition.

Please write to me if you wish anything discussed in the magazine.

Best Wishes, Andrew