New Junior Director - Sabrina Chevannes or Phil Ehr?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Steve Rooney

Re: New Junior Director - Sabrina Chevannes or Phil Ehr?

Post by Steve Rooney » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:If I had a vote...
Krishna,

It has occured to me that you do have a vote. I believe you're involved with the Kent Junior Chess Association? Their delegate at the moment is Richard Haddrell. I'm sure he'd consult with KJCA over the issue of the next Junior Director. Have you tried e-mailing him suggesting who he should vote for?
That's lobbying, not voting.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Krishna Shiatis wrote:If I had a vote...
Krishna,

It has occured to me that you do have a vote. I believe you're involved with the Kent Junior Chess Association? Their delegate at the moment is Richard Haddrell. I'm sure he'd consult with KJCA over the issue of the next Junior Director. Have you tried e-mailing him suggesting who he should vote for?
That's lobbying, not voting.
Whatever you call it, it's Krishna's easiest way of influencing a vote.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm

If I had a vote, I would like to hear the candidates present their ideas in person before casting it. Having a good plan and a vision is one thing, but communicating it to others to get them to support you, is just as important.

In reading the written submissions from the candidates, I would make a few observations.

Elite chess is important but should not be the only (or indeed highest) priority; the base of the pyramid is what holds the whole structure in place.

Additional finance is needed to support junior chess at all levels. Getting cash from parents might be seen as the simplest option, but it cannot and should not be at a level that is unaffordable for the mass of parents and is therefore limited in scope. Getting sponsorship and trust fund support is not at all easy, particularly in the current climate, but in the long term it may be the more fruitful option.

Working with other established groups and events on a national stage is important, but there is a lot of activity 'below the radar' - individuals and small groups working with juniors. Finding out what they need to make more of their, often voluntary, efforts is vital and the answers may lie in facilitating the kind of network that RJ alludes to above.

Coaching is most just about juniors, even though this directorship might be. I believe there is a lot of potential in helping adults learn and get more out of playing chess.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:35 pm

It is, I suppose, approaching fifteen years since the ENG representatives in World and European Junior events were regularly in the top 10 by rank and thus potential or actual winners.

I took a look at the current event so see what sort of standard is needed to be in top ten by seeding.
http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=BUL

Rounding off and ignoring the U-8 as mostly unrated, the international standard now seems to be

U16/18 open 2400 girls 2150
U14 open 2250 girls 1950
U12 open 2000 girls 1750
U10 open 1850 girls 1550

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am

Steve Rooney wrote:If I had a vote, I would like to hear the candidates present their ideas in person before casting it. Having a good plan and a vision is one thing, but communicating it to others to get them to support you, is just as important.

In reading the written submissions from the candidates, I would make a few observations.

Elite chess is important but should not be the only (or indeed highest) priority; the base of the pyramid is what holds the whole structure in place.

Additional finance is needed to support junior chess at all levels. Getting cash from parents might be seen as the simplest option, but it cannot and should not be at a level that is unaffordable for the mass of parents and is therefore limited in scope. Getting sponsorship and trust fund support is not at all easy, particularly in the current climate, but in the long term it may be the more fruitful option.

Working with other established groups and events on a national stage is important, but there is a lot of activity 'below the radar' - individuals and small groups working with juniors. Finding out what they need to make more of their, often voluntary, efforts is vital and the answers may lie in facilitating the kind of network that RJ alludes to above.

Coaching is most just about juniors, even though this directorship might be. I believe there is a lot of potential in helping adults learn and get more out of playing chess.
I too, would like to hear the candidates speak. Unless they go on youtube or something, I am not sure how that might be achieved for the masses. I was fortunate enough to see Sabrina at Richmond Rapidplay, where I asked her lots of questions and was able to grill her at length.

She is IMO very accessible also, in that she does respond on this forum. I do like that because it means that anyone in the country can talk to her.

It is important to note that chess begins for everyone at a starter level and then progresses gradually to an elite level (if they want to or are able to reach this level). If there is a bottle neck at the top and the children are not progressing at the top, then this usually has a knock on effect to all the children all the way down.

Training does have to commence at grass-roots and does have to work its way to the top. That is a given. The problems we are facing is that this is simply not happening at the moment. Whoever comes in will have to deal with this issue and also to address how to do it in a structured and logical manner.

Finally, Roger has quite rightly pointed out the averages for success at International level. It may be that many do not consider this relevant or important. Actually it is relevant and important to us all.

The future of our titled players (if we have any new ones) is very relevant to what happens to chess in this country. We need role models and coaches who excel. We need aspirational characters who our children can look up to and we need to have a solid base for the future.

Success brings success. The more we have it, the better off we will all be.
Last edited by Krishna Shiatis on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 am

Phil should perhaps register here to answer any question's?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Steve makes a good point Adults would also benifit from coaching in the summer break i organise a series of lectures at the Darlington club that is open to anybody and everybody.Every adult and Junior that attends tell me they have learned something new from each lecture.
And the best part the lectures are all free the coach that does the lectures refuses any sort of payment i usually end up buying him a few bottles of good Wine over the year its the only way i can get him to accept anything lol.
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Indeed it is true that adults need coaching too and I do actually coach a couple of adults privately. I don't actually run any chess coaching seminars for adults, but I think they would appreciate a seminar off someone like Nigel Short etc. We are hoping to organise something like that after the Classic actually, so will update you.

However, Phil and I are going for the post of JUNIOR director, so forgive us for not mentioning adult coaching. I think we were hoping to start right at the bottom and hopefully they can all blossom into strong adult players :)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote: Phil and I are going for the post of JUNIOR director, so forgive us for not mentioning adult coaching.
The post is that of Director of Junior Chess and Education rather than Director of Junior Chess and Junior Education I believe.

Could someone in the know correct me if I am once again wrong?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Indeed it is true that adults need coaching too and I do actually coach a couple of adults privately. I don't actually run any chess coaching seminars for adults, but I think they would appreciate a seminar off someone like Nigel Short etc. We are hoping to organise something like that after the Classic actually, so will update you.

However, Phil and I are going for the post of JUNIOR director, so forgive us for not mentioning adult coaching. I think we were hoping to start right at the bottom and hopefully they can all blossom into strong adult players :)
Sabrina, you're right that the post is Junior Director (although John makes an interesting point above) and my comments on adults were not criticising yours or Phil's statement. It is simply a plea for coacing not to be seen as exclusively for juniors.

I do actually jointly run a local chess club for juniors, but am passionate that chess should not be seen as something you can only be coached in when you are young.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm

John Upham wrote:The post is that of Director of Junior Chess and Education rather than Director of Junior Chess and Junior Education I believe.
The responsibilities of the Director of Junior Chess and Education are:
Regulation No. 2 - The Directors and Officers Responsibilities Regulations - Director of Junior Chess & Education wrote: Offers advice and promotes all kinds of suitable activity, particularly education, training and practice, for all players under the age of 18, liaising with the Manager of Women’s Chess. Co-operates with other ECF Directors, ECF organisation members, and other organisations, whether or not specifically identified with junior chess. Co-operates with other bodies, as appropriate, to organise the participation by the Federation or its nominees in international events for players under 18.

Is responsible for the National Counties Under-18 Championships and the ECF Schools Teams Championship. Promotes links between junior players and organised adult chess and is responsible for liaison with the British Universities Chess Association.

Is responsible for the work of the Manager of Coaching and any other junior managers who may be appointed.
which suggests the post only covers junior chess. On the other hand:
Regulation No. 2 - The Directors and Officers Responsibilities Regulations - Manager of Coaching wrote: Appointed by the Board and reports to the Director of Junior Chess and Education.
Works closely with the Director of Junior Chess and Education and with other Directors about adult chess.
which suggests the Director of Junior Chess and Education does have some responsibility for adult chess, as the Manager of Coaching reports to them.

The important question is which ECF official has accepted responsibility for the development of adult chess, and, if the answer is no-one, what's going to be done about that?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:09 pm

I always interpreted the post as:

Director of Junior (Chess + Education)

Rather than:

Director of (Junior Chess + Education)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I am going to stun everyone with my breathtaking cynicism and say I suspect the ECF shapes the roles to the people available. It seems to me Phil Ehr's proposed duties for an Alternate Director are closer to a Manager of Coaching than the way Alternate Director is usually interpreted. But I don't think it really matters.

It would certainly be nice if we had a plan to deliver adult education too. But I've made the point before that if the ECF tries to do everything, it will end up doing nothing. I hope the Council electorate is sophisticated enough to look for SMART commitments.

I've no objection to political candidates stating their objectives in general terms, but fine words butter no parsnips.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I am going to stun everyone with my breathtaking cynicism and say I suspect the ECF shapes the roles to the people available. It seems to me Phil Ehr's proposed duties for an Alternate Director are closer to a Manager of Coaching than the way Alternate Director is usually interpreted. But I don't think it really matters.
That seems to be the common way Alternate Directors of the ECF Board operate; they combine that role with at least one other role within the ECF, often one reporting to the director they are shadowing.

Phil Ehr

Post by Phil Ehr » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi! As my first post in the Forum, I’d like to state emphatically that I am a huge fan of Sabrina. As anybody who has met her knows that she is a fabulous coach and role model for juniors, both boys and girls. If elected, I would love to continue working with her as Manager of Women’s Chess. She would of course play a prominent role with the Junior Directorate, but the niche for girls’ needs to be established more firmly. To that end, I would ensure clear ECF sponsorship of a girls’ program, supported more equitably with ECF funds and planted firmly in the ECF domain. Her idea of a separate website for juniors has potential, although I would want to see clarity in the relationship between the ECF (as a company acting in the public trust) and the Chevannes Chess Academy (as a very helpful but nonetheless commercial entity).

For those who know both of us, please be assured that our campaign for the same job is not harming the several projects we are doing together. I think I speak for both of us by saying this is really a discussion among friends.