Chess online for juniors

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Nick Thomas

Chess online for juniors

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 am

I think I have asked a similar question before but got nowhere much with it. Is there a place online where a group of local children can play chess in a secure private room with gradings and chat facilities for free or for very little?

Andrew Camp

Re: Chess online for juniors

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

A lot of my pupils use chesscube. I show parents how they can shut off aspects of chat.

There is a children's chess room on playchess.com but how 'safe' it is I'm not sure.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks. Can you have a private room just for a local group of children or do all children play in a general room? Is there a fee?

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Chesscube is free - you can turn off observer chat so just the two players can talk.

Playchess.com is about £30 a year

You can run your own private coaching sessions on playchess.com and invite as many kids into the room as you like - you have control of the board and can teach quite effectively.
[email protected]

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Andrew Camp wrote: You can run your own private coaching sessions on playchess.com and invite as many kids into the room as you like - you have control of the board and can teach quite effectively.
Is this easy (and free) to arrange? As far as I know the person hosting has to become a 'Chairman' but I must say that although I have membership of Playchess.com I don't really know how to use it very well for coaching.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Thomas.

Yes, I found it very easy. Simply go to the training room. Start a new broadcast and invite whoever you wish to be part of it. Your session can be set as private simply by clicking a tab.

It is free as part of your subscription. Sabrina uses it with my daughter.
[email protected]

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:02 am

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm

[quote="Andrew Camp"]Hi Thomas.

Yes, I found it very easy. Simply go to the training room. Start a new broadcast and invite whoever you wish to be part of it. Your session can be set as private simply by clicking a tab./quote]

Thanks Andrew. I suspect that somehow my membership has expired (and they only allow free membership to GMs as far as I can see, I'm not sure when this changed).

I'll probably stick to ICC when I can although Chess.com is a good option as well, although both the student and the coach would have to be premium members for it to work best I think.