World Junior 1-16 August Chennai India

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Alex Holowczak

Re: World Junior 1-16 August Chennai India

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

Alan Burke wrote:I just want to know if those requesting for these 'extra' players to attend would expect the ECF to 'look after' them or would they also be willing to provide or pay for a chaperone throughout the trip ?
I don't think the ECF has ever paid for parents to go, but am prepared to be corrected. It's my understanding that the people who go with the players as coaches will have an Enhanced CRB check. If a parent or parents want to go with their child, then I think they'd be expected to pay out of their own pocket. The ECF would fund the coaches.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 am

Alan Burke wrote: I just want to know if those requesting for these 'extra' players to attend would expect the ECF to 'look after' them or would they also be willing to provide or pay for a chaperone throughout the trip ?
Generally speaking the ECF is reluctant to allow extra players at any price. If it does take more than one player these are all part of the delegation and in public at any event there is no categorisation into official and unofficial. Parents have indicated that they might be prepared to pay the ECF's price for extra players, but complain that the process of having a single qualifier denies them this option. It's one of a number of topics which periodically reappear on this forum.

Other countries seem to manage squads containing one than player in each age group. I wouldn't know how they organise them.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:49 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Alan Burke wrote:I just want to know if those requesting for these 'extra' players to attend would expect the ECF to 'look after' them or would they also be willing to provide or pay for a chaperone throughout the trip ?
I don't think the ECF has ever paid for parents to go, but am prepared to be corrected. It's my understanding that the people who go with the players as coaches will have an Enhanced CRB check. If a parent or parents want to go with their child, then I think they'd be expected to pay out of their own pocket. The ECF would fund the coaches.
Parents usual pay the full cost of their trip but on rare occasions an 'experienced' parent may also have an official role within the group and then a contribution has been made towards their costs. Unfortunately, particularly in the present financial situation, there is likely to be an additional levy because funds need to be raised to cover the cost of the Head of Delegation and the coaches. I assume this would be shared equally amongst the players and must be in the range of £500 - £800 each!! Much sympathy for the Junior Director who will be working with a very small budget in the next financial year.

Peter

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

I perhaps need to mention that as in 2010 Peter Purland has kindly allowed me to take responsiblity for the World Junior and the English participation. I have not imposed a limit of only sending one player per section so, in theory, there could be several English juniors going to the event. The location and cost is likely to keep this number fairly low but I have discussed the event with several parents and juniors. I intend to go as (unpaid) Head of Delegation (and secondary coach if numbers are such that this is required) alongside a primary coach. When I have an idea of the numbers interested then I will finalise the arrangements and the final list of players and coaches wil be published. I would imagine this would take place in around a months time.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 am

LozCooper wrote: I have not imposed a limit of only sending one player per section so, in theory, there could be several English juniors going to the event.
Presumably you would pool the accommodation costs, so that any designation of players into official and extra would just be to keep the organisers happy?

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 am

It may well be easy to get a visa ... but don't bother trying to get one today as nobody will be working in India (Cricket semi-final - India v Pakistan !)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 pm

"I went to India last year and had no problem obtaining a visa, you fill in the forms online, pay your money, print out the details, and send them and your passport off to the address provided."

it's improved then - I actually found it harder to get a visa for India than for USA... Perhaps India noticed that if it wanted people to spend money in their industries, they should make it easier for people to get there!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Please note that due to a combination of the location and the expense of the tournament to the players who were interested in playing there will be no English representatives at this year's World Junior.

I did manage to secure some funding from the John Robinson Trust and the ECF Junior Director but despite my attempts to get a group of players and one coach plus myself as a head of delegation/back up coach I ended up with only player willing/able to go and in view of this they made a decision not to enter.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:44 pm

LozCooper wrote:Please note that due to a combination of the location and the expense of the tournament to the players who were interested in playing there will be no English representatives at this year's World Junior.
Is this general among European federations? I noted from the FIDE website
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... india.html
The date for receiving entries has been extended by 20 days to Monday June 20th.
which is often indicative of an under-subscribed event.

54 and 26 entries according to
http://www.wjcc2011.org/Participants.aspx