The future - 2011 and beyond.

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Alan Burke

Re: The future - 2011 and beyond.

Post by Alan Burke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Could we/would we be allowed to set up a 'formal group' (parents and interested parties) to discuss this now, for next year, so that the structure at least is in place? Then formal elections could be held next year, when people could put their names forward according to their skill sets and they (and we) would know exactly what is being signed up for and everybody can make informed decisions.

We could do this on this forum and then everyone would be able to see what is going on and how things are being shaped.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this and being a part of the process (I would be happy to be one person/parent)?
--------------------------------------

This forum is definately NOT the place to discuss such matters.

I would suggest that a very small minority of parents are members of this forum yet many others might wish to be part of any discussions about their child's chess future - and why should their views not be heard just because they do not contribute to this site ?

Angus McDonald

Post by Angus McDonald » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

Krishna,
I'd say go for it. Do what you can for the common good :-)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Could we/would we be allowed to set up a 'formal group' (parents and interested parties) to discuss this now, for next year, so that the structure at least is in place? Then formal elections could be held next year, when people could put their names forward according to their skill sets and they (and we) would know exactly what is being signed up for and everybody can make informed decisions.

We could do this on this forum and then everyone would be able to see what is going on and how things are being shaped.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this and being a part of the process (I would be happy to be one person/parent)?
--------------------------------------

This forum is definately NOT the place to discuss such matters.

I would suggest that a very small minority of parents are members of this forum yet many others might wish to be part of any discussions about their child's chess future - and why should their views not be heard just because they do not contribute to this site ?
Hi Alan,

I do agree that a small minority of parents are a part of this forum. As many as possible should be consulted. However as things stand, as parents, this is all we have.

All the parents are spread far and wide geographically. If we do not discuss these things now, then somebody might be appointed next year whose views and policies we may not agree with and everybody will say to us - 'well why did you not do anything about it then? You had time since the last election and you should have looked at the situation then!'

If we do start the discussion and word of mouth spreads about what we are doing here, then more parents/interested parties will get involved and maybe then we can come up with something which many are happy with. The discussion is just a starting point (I hope).

Obviously any ideas that are shared here are not policy. They are simply ideas. If we did not discuss it here, then where could we discuss it?

Also, as it stands, I would not discuss it until there were a few more interested parties/parents (hopefully from all over the country) wanting to be involved. I think only one other has openly said he would wish to join the discussion (thank you Jim!).

Kind regards,

Krishna

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 am

Krishna...

Yes, I agree that my previous comment of ''This forum is definately NOT the place to discuss such matters'' was not a correct statement to make as forums are there for people to discuss any subject which they wish.

However, I disagree that any 'formal group' to represent the parents of junior players should be organised by people who contribute to this site at the exclusion of those who don't. I applaud your enthusiasm on this subject, but although there will be several who support your views on the current administration, there are also many who are quite satisfied with the present set up - and people on both sides may wish to contribute to any discussions without doing it in a public domain.

If a parents' group was to be formed with the intention of having a voice within the ECF, I would think that the more democratic way would be to first canvas your own club representative to have the subject discussed at league level, and then, if others support the idea, to then continue it through into county, regional and national levels, so that everyone has a chance to agree to your propsal or not.

Only by doing it in this way could everyone judge if your propsals are worthy of continuation or if most people are satisfied for the current administration.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Please note that at the April Finance meeting my attempt to change the ECF articles allowing a person to hold more than one directorship was convincingly defeated thereby ending any hopes I had of being able to be both International and Junior Director from October 2011 onwards.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 pm

LozCooper wrote:Please note that at the April Finance meeting my attempt to change the ECF articles allowing a person to hold more than one directorship was convincingly defeated thereby ending any hopes I had of being able to be both International and Junior Director from October 2011 onwards.
A shame, who was nominated in the Junior role?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Please note that at the April Finance meeting my attempt to change the ECF articles allowing a person to hold more than one directorship was convincingly defeated thereby ending any hopes I had of being able to be both International and Junior Director from October 2011 onwards.
A shame, who was nominated in the Junior role?
No one was. That wasn't the point.

Loz can stand for 2 directorships in October, but only actually hold 1 directorship. So if he was the only candidate for both, he'd have to choose. He was seeking to avoid that problem.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I had hoped to get a rule change to avoid a potential situation where someone who didn't really want the job might take it purely to fill a vacancy. This might prove irrelevant and we may get a number of willing and capable candidates but I wanted to see if there was any chance of changing the regulations as I would have been willing to stand for both roles with a view to doing both if elected. However, an overwhelming majority of board and council members decided they do not wish to have me or anyone else performing more than one role and in view of the one sided nature of the vote I have to accept it and continue to do my best in my current role.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 pm

As a parent, a strong and supportive junior section of the national association is very much missed. It seems to me that the ECF would do well to build a junior dimension into the remit of the International and Home directorates, and perhaps move the contentious issue of how selection policy gets formed into a committee of those directors alongside Junior. For the sake of the next generation of GMs, as well as the strength and health of league and club chess, it is too important to leave junior chess vulnerable to arbitrary policy swings.

Lawrence, would you be willing to add participation in forming junior selection policy to your International role? And would it be unreasonable to suggest an ECF junior team could be formed?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm

PaulSanders wrote:As a parent, a strong and supportive junior section of the national association is very much missed. It seems to me that the ECF would do well to build a junior dimension into the remit of the International and Home directorates, and perhaps move the contentious issue of how selection policy gets formed into a committee of those directors alongside Junior. For the sake of the next generation of GMs, as well as the strength and health of league and club chess, it is too important to leave junior chess vulnerable to arbitrary policy swings.

Lawrence, would you be willing to add participation in forming junior selection policy to your International role? And would it be unreasonable to suggest an ECF junior team could be formed?
Hi Paul,

As you know I have a real interest in junior chess and spend a lot of time in contact with both juniors and parents. I would be more than happy to have a greater involvement but it is not my decision to make. Clearly policy is laid out for the next six months and so it's only when elections are held and a new person is elected that changes may be made. I am also conscious that it may be seen as interference or undermining the current director were I to try and instigate any such changes before then.

Having said that you know I am very approachable and if I am asked for my opinion on such matters I will be happy to give my thoughts and be involved in any future talks on policy if that would be welcomed. In the meantime I remain happy to speak to any junior or parent on any aspect of their chess career, tournaments or anything that I can be of help with.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 pm

I have moderated and removed one of my own comments which with hindsight was perhaps not appropriate for which I apologise
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Lawrence,

I am very sorry to hear this. I have spoken to many parents up and down the country and all of them without exception thought that you would make an excellent Junior Director.

I do understand that you are very involved on the international side, but the need for you in the Junior Director role is immense. We really do need somebody like you in the role. Would you consider leaving your role as International Director and take on the sole role of JD?

Kind regards,

Krishna

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:
Hi Lawrence,

I am very sorry to hear this. I have spoken to many parents up and down the country and all of them without exception thought that you would make an excellent Junior Director.

I do understand that you are very involved on the international side, but the need for you in the Junior Director role is immense. We really do need somebody like you in the role. Would you consider leaving your role as International Director and take on the sole role of JD?

Kind regards,

Krishna
Hi Krishna,

Thanks for those kind words. I think I'll be better placed to answer your question in August/September. At the moment I'm coming to terms with the fact that both isn't an option but I want to do my best for English chess so I will have to decide where I can do most good. Of course, I'm not taking anything for granted and I may end up without either post. In the meantime I have plenty to keep me occupied with the EWICC, Big Slick, World Junior, European Youth, European Team etc so I won't be idle in the run up to October.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am

I suggest the way forward is to have a candidate ready for either the International or the Junior post who is in tune with Loz's work and will effectively share the two jobs with him on an informal basis. I'm sure there are suitable candidates who might be persuaded to stand on that arrangement. Peter Sowray is one who springs to mind.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:07 am

Leonard Barden wrote:I suggest the way forward is to have a candidate ready for either the International or the Junior post who is in tune with Loz's work and will effectively share the two jobs with him on an informal basis. I'm sure there are suitable candidates who might be persuaded to stand on that arrangement. Peter Sowray is one who springs to mind.
If the ECF Board so wishes, it can redefine the responsibilities prior to opening nominations for the October elections.