Guildford Junior Chess Club - a coaching job

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Martin

Guildford Junior Chess Club - a coaching job

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 am

Guildford Junior Chess Club has established itself successfully and now has over 60 members. We are reaching maximum capacity.

The club provides coaching in four groups from beginner up to a squad that now plays in the 4NCL and is getting better all the time.

We are looking for a coach to take our Advanced Group ( Group 3 in terms of strength, 4 is the strongest) on Monday evenings from 615pm - 715pm. These are talented kids. The job will be well-paid dependent on negotiation.

We run during school term time and thus the Summer term starts on April 17th , by which time we hope to fill the post.

We meet at the Guildford Institute on Ward Street.

Please get in touch with me if you are interested:

[email protected]

Thanks.

John Upham

Re: Guildford Junior Chess Club - a coaching job

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm

I'd like to iterate just what a super job both Andrew and Nigel Povah are doing at Guildford Junior Chess Club and just how much one of my students enjoys the Monday night club.

I generally recommend GJCC for all incoming enquiries from parents in this part of the world.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:03 pm

I am pleased to say the role is now filled. Thanks to all those who expressed interest.

Andrew

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm

That sounds like a relatively informal (and very rapid!) application process. It got me wondering (I will move this to a new thread if it is too general for here) what the general status is of paid coaching roles?

I presume in most cases they would be fixed-term contracts to self-employed freelancers (if that is the right term)? i.e. not permanent staff and hence falling under slightly different areas of employment law (with insurance and so forth being either the employer or the contractee or both, depending on circumstances).