World Youth Chess Championship Junior Grand Prix

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:26 pm

I know all about the hard unpaid work, as I am a Junior Event Organiser myself - one of the problems is that myself and a heck of a lot of other organisers get absolutely no credit/recognition.

If an event goes successfully, the current ECF body is more than happy to take credit for it, but if it goes wrong, (eg. last years Under 18 County Championships) they always find a scapegoat - it's never their fault. I know a lot of people who helped me through my Junior "career", and they put their hearts and souls into Junior chess, but I could name them all and I bet someone of your stature Mr. Martin would never have heard of them, or if you had, you would not be aware of what they do for Junior Chess.
Last edited by Nigel Wright on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:35 am

The fact that no-one from the ECF has bothered to answer the original question posed by me on this, their own forum, speaks absolute volumes in my opinion.

Good idea. P*ss poor implementation. As usual.

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 am

I have sympathy with the points of view put over by the last three contributors, Chess the game we love, is in the main served by unpaid, hardly thanked, hard working officials, professional interests held by these officials with the ECF should be properly declared and never allowed to interfere with ECF decisions or voting.

It is not for senior official holding ECF management positions to respond to every points made on this forum, this is a place where all people interested in the well being of English chess can state a point of view and from where officials can judge ground swell opinion, I am however concerned that while there have been more than a thousand hits on this site there are only about six contributors, the same can be said of other sites and in particular polls that are in place.

I have heard that people voting in a poll can be identified, and this could result in some people preferring not vote, I ask that the moderators clarify this please as it may help the position.

Alan Ruffle

Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:38 am

Alan Ruffle wrote:I have heard that people voting in a poll can be identified, and this could result in some people preferring not vote, I ask that the moderators clarify this please as it may help the position.

Alan Ruffle
It appears that the software used here does NOT allow identification of individuals during a vote and even if it did (for the record...) I would not be willing to supply that information to anyone
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:41 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:The fact that no-one from the ECF has bothered to answer the original question posed by me on this, their own forum, speaks absolute volumes in my opinion.

Good idea. P*ss poor implementation. As usual.
The level of contribution has been disappointing I have to admit!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:41 am

Good point Alan, but what is the point in advertising an ECF Forum and not doing anything with it?

Having the forum is a start, but it's still not good enough. It's the same principle as me turning up to work, thinking about working, but then not actually doing any of the work I was thinking about doing. I would lose my job for that - maybe someone should impose a similar consequence upon ECF Officials who "sit on their backsides all day" when concerned with matters of chess...?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:02 pm

I suggest that ‘Chess Moves’ is allocated a twelve-month role over spot on the ‘Forum’.

It must be easier for the office than the current email method, it can be proven to be read, editorials and readers comments are up to date, it will reach the booming membership of Internet Club players and it avoids repetition of other chess notice boards i.e. the Calendar.

Alan Ruffle

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Alan Ruffle wrote:I suggest that ‘Chess Moves’ is allocated a twelve-month role over spot on the ‘Forum’.

It must be easier for the office than the current email method, it can be proven to be read, editorials and readers comments are up to date, it will reach the booming membership of Internet Club players and it avoids repetition of other chess notice boards i.e. the Calendar.

Alan Ruffle
Something like that is possible of course, perhaps it would generate more ECF involvement as well?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: .... perhaps it would generate more ECF involvement as well?
Aha - a man seeking a challenge!!

And for your next trick....?

Claire Summerscale

Post by Claire Summerscale » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 pm

I apologise for my delay in replying to this post. I have been extremely busy trying to organise tournaments, coaching days international events and this has unfortunately fallen through my radar.

The late announcement of the World Youth Grand Prix was my fault. I was trying desperately to finalise the arrangements and get funding for this new project in place right up until the minute it was announced. In regard to children who attended the EU Youth Championship, I have informed any parents who contacted me that should their children perform exceptionally at the other Grand Prix events, due to the late announcement of the Grand Prix events, I will take their results into account when allocating World Youth Chess Championship places.

Nigel – If there is anything that I can do to help juniors in your area, please let me know, my email address and the best way to contact me is: [email protected].

Claire Summerscale
ECF Director of Junior Chess & Education

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: .... perhaps it would generate more ECF involvement as well?
Aha - a man seeking a challenge!!

And for your next trick....?
Abracadabra
Cheers
Carl Hibbard