The EJCOA Youth Championships 2022

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Martin

The EJCOA Youth Championships 2022

Post by Andrew Martin » Tue May 31, 2022 3:01 pm

Please note the forthcoming event:

2022 EJCOA YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIPS Entry Form FINAL.pdf
(285.41 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

John Upham

Re: The EJCOA Youth Championships 2022

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 am

Thanks Andrew.

Since Friday July 8th is a school day (for most) I assume many half-point byes will be requested for non-local players.

A student of mine wishes to take part but would be travelling from Surrey after school.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 am

Isn't it strange how for two years teachers insisted that it really didn't matter much whether children got any education at all, now suddenly taking a half day off for a major chess event is out of the question.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:19 pm

Morning All
Please note the different qualifying routes.
1) Winning a zonal
2) By grade
3) By Wildcard contacting the organisers

Note/ Some further good news. We also have another large sponsor which will increase the prize fund substantially. Details to be announced.

If you plan on joining, I would advise entering very early as capacity is 150

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 am
Isn't it strange how for two years teachers insisted that it really didn't matter much whether children got any education at all, now suddenly taking a half day off for a major chess event is out of the question.
I think some forumites would insist on source material for that ...

But on the second point, my impression is that state schools are under much more pressure to deny authorisation for leave. At the top end it is to do with trying to reduce truancy rates, and having stricter rules concerning authorised absences is part of the strategy. Unfortunately they are likely applied with insufficient flexibility. The days when Jimmy White's headmaster would let him off school in the afternoons because he had a much better chance of making something of himself on the snooker table are long gone.

My other impression, and again I may well be corrected by many with closer experience, is that many private schools "choose" to adopt the same guidelines, and while they are much more likely to show flexibility - they have paying customers, after all - they will still make a big deal of how exceptional their granting of leave is.

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:20 pm

Evening all.

Final is filling fast. If you satisfy the grade criteria or would like to apply for a wildcard then i would do so very quickly

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:58 pm

Chessable confirmed as main sponsors. Prize fund increases to include numerous chessable prizes and extra cash prizes

Over 100 entries so far and top rated 2168. All age groups very competitive.

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Two weeks to go and the national finals is filling fast. If you qualify by grade or zonal and want to play I would strongly advise entering quickly to avoid disappointment

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:59 pm

The national finals has finished. The event filled to out givie. Capacity. Very positive feedback received for the competitive fide rated games combined with pre advertised specific training plus hame analysis and simul. Training provided by fide trainers of which there are few in this country with about 100 years of coaching experience amongst tie group if trainers