Question from a parent

National developments, strategies and ideas.
JustinHorton

Question from a parent

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:26 pm

One of my Twitter mutuals sent me a message, knowing that I play chess: I don't really know enough to help him, but I am sure other people here can do better.

He writes:
I've been playing casually with my boy, who is now nine, for some years and he understands the rules. His school has now set up a chess club to enter a longer-running local league and he has started competing against other local schools every week. He would like to strengthen his game and I fear I'm reaching the limits of what I can teach. I'm not a strong player at all, I hadn't played for years before picking the game up again to play with the boy. Are there any good books or guides for children you know off the top of your head? He has a book called How To Beat Your Dad at Chess, which has been some help.
Can anybody advise?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Re: Question from a parent

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pm

I'd suggest having a look at Richard James
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:49 pm

It really, really, really depends on the junior and how advanced/beginner he is, how motivated he is, how much time he wants to spend on it.
Things to consider:
  • Junior chess clubs
  • Chesskids.com (doing the lessons there are very fun for children
  • Chess.com or lichess to play games
  • A coach (one to one or group lessons)
  • Games like Magnus trainer (a phone app that has lots of games that are fantastic for beginners to build up some core skills)
  • more academically, books like the Steps series (it is very dry and academic, so not any junior will be motivated to complete)
  • playing in events like UKCC
  • tactics, puzzles rush, puzzle survivals (and simliarly named) on chess.com, lichess.org or chesstempo.com
  • if willing to invest, some books on chessable. I would not recommend opening books for a beginner, but tactics and endgame ones could be good
The key in my opinion is to keep it fun, keep their interest with games, competitions, goals until they get good enough and old enough to start deciding what they want to do.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:13 pm

I think just to keep this simple we might just stick with books and guides if that's OK, I am hoping to narrow it down to some good choices
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:53 pm

Wadih is, of course, right in indicating there's no unique simpIe answer - for exampIe, most chiIdren these days seem to prefer Iearning from videos rather than books but a minority stiII prefer the written word. Having said that, if I had to reduce Wadih's Iist to a more manageabIe two items, I think I'd suggest ChessKid and Iichess.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:47 pm

Winning chess tactics for juniors - Lou Hayes is reasonable as a puzzle book.

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 am

Please view my book "The Chess Scene" on amazon.........or on the EC Forum Adverts or Book Reviews.
Cheers
Alan Ruffle