One Day Blitz Tournament for Juniors questions

National developments, strategies and ideas.
ThomasEvans

Re: One Day Blitz Tournament for Juniors questions

Post by ThomasEvans » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:57 pm

How many players are you planning for? 20 minutes inbetween each round is quite easily manageable with say 30-40 players in total, but if you're looking at 50-60+ then 25 minutes might be more suitable (and you might need to reduce it to 13 rounds to fit it in).
The only large junior blitz event I'm aware of is this one, but I don't know if the 20 minute planned gap between rounds was enough for the room with ~100 players in (it was for the 25 players I had) - maybe you can ask Alex for how that went (and he can probably give you better advice than I can!).

Any of the FIDE endorsed pairings programsare perfectly fine (and that list does include UTU Swiss), just make sure you have an easy way to show people their pairings quickly (a projector screen or printouts on a wall should be good enough) although I imagine you've probably thought about that anyway.

As for arbiters, make sure they are licenced with FIDE if you are rating the event (the list is here and the licenced arbiters have a * in the NA column) - if they aren't yet then send an email to the ECF international rating officer (IRO) to get them registered.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:33 pm

Quick question: if our Blitz event is FIDE rated will that require all of the juniors to be ECF gold members?

If that is the case then I will abandon having it FIDE rated.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:37 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:33 pm
Quick question: if our Blitz event is FIDE rated will that require all of the juniors to be ECF gold members?
Quick answer: No

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:42 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:37 pm
John Upham wrote:
Quick answer: No

Thanks David. So a basic ECF membership will be adequate?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:00 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:42 pm
[Thanks David. So a basic ECF membership will be adequate?

Does rhe ECF impose any requirements for ECF membership on OTB Blitz tournaments? ECF rating of them is something new, FIDE rating of Blitz has been around for a while, but in the absence of FIDE demanding fees, the ECF hasn't found a reason to require payment.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:11 am

John Upham wrote:

If that is the case then I will abandon having it FIDE rated.
I FIDE rate the higher sections of my rapidplays in Oxford and even there for rapid it is not necessary for juniors to be gold members. In practice I think the biggest difficulty with FIDE rating, which you may encounter, is that you need players with existing FIDE ratings