News

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Carl Hibbard

Re: News

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:42 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:05 am
Nick (or moderators),

Please can you delete or edit that post to remove most of it. Lots of things appear on the internet around midnight that should be allowed to quietly disappear in the morning.
The post has been edited after a discussion between Joseph and Tim.

Tim has decided to leave the forum.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:42 am
Edited? Come on Carl, you're better than that.

The fact is that an ECF election is in progress and there is material which, by his own hand, looks very damaging to one of the candidates. It is hugely disappointing that you have jumped in to suppress it - I do not believe that I have ever seen you take sides in this way before.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:18 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 am
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Edited? Come on Carl, you're better than that.

The fact is that an ECF election is in progress and there is material which, by his own hand, looks very damaging to one of the candidates. It is hugely disappointing that you have jumped in to suppress it - I do not believe that I have ever seen you take sides in this way before.
Sides? What nonsense.

Both of them agreed that a rather foolish post should be removed and I have done so.

Any damage has already been done.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:35 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:18 am
Both of them agreed that a rather foolish post should be removed and I have done so.
He did not insult one individual, he insulted the entire Forum community and by extension most of the ECF membership. Many Silver members will remain entirely unaware of his true feelings towards them, and this place should offer the best small chance of correcting that. But it doesn't.

If Tim's goodbye note included an apology for calling us utterly stupid, you might wish to post it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 pm

"Sides? What nonsense."

I agree it's rare...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:26 pm

The main thing I think about Carl's moderation is that this is his site so he gets to set the rules. But for what it is worth, I agree with him too. It was Joseph who was insulted, and since he requested the post was removed, it seems fair to respect his wishes.

It seems doubtful Tim's reputation can be repaired by deleting one more post. Paradoxically it makes me think he must have real skill as a coach or organiser, because no one would put up with his volitivity otherwise.

I can understand Nick's point though. I find it wearing that people who are not regular contributors want to be able to say "personally I am far too busy/ important/ sensible to use an internet forum but because this site is read by many people I am going to lower myself and tell you..." If they end their engagement with "and all my worst fears about you fools have been realised" it adds insult to the original injury. I suppose unavoidable, but irritating nonetheless to be exploited and abused in this way. People would not be logging on to read the forum if people did not post here.

The EJCOA candidate will have a harder time making the case they are the best candidate as a result of this bungled start. But I am going to try to stay openminded until the debate has some substance in it to try to judge.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:26 pm
If they end their engagement with "and all my worst fears about you fools have been realised" it adds insult to the original injury.
We have seen that before and can live with it. It is the subsequent reporting injunction that gets up my nose.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:52 pm

I played Joseph nearly 30 years ago and was impressed by how pleasant he was - not always the case with juniors!

Now I'm even more impressed...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:19 pm

I don't feel we should agree on anything. So I would just like to say that I did not enjoy playing Joseph when he was a junior. Who are you crazy people who enjoy playing these annoying little tacticians? It was the same time Luke McShane was a junior, which made it worse. Now we find out he had access during games to the kind of brain power that ought to get you banned. Simply unacceptable all round!

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:

I wonder whether Carl would kindly clarify - is it open to Tim to return? I ask, less out of interest in Tim's intentions and more as his past comments seem to have been a significant reason for others leaving this forum. If he has been excluded, that might be a step towards encouraging others to return.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Boris stated that Matt decided to leave. I think what happened there was perfectly clear.
Carl stated that Tim has decided to leave. I think that also makes the situation perfectly clear

"Those that have ears to hear, let them hear".

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:40 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Carl Hibbard wrote:
I wonder whether Carl would kindly clarify - is it open to Tim to return? I ask, less out of interest in Tim's intentions and more as his past comments seem to have been a significant reason for others leaving this forum. If he has been excluded, that might be a step towards encouraging others to return.
Tim asked for his account to be removed but as per my usual practice it is inactive for now in case he changes his mind.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
I ask, less out of interest in Tim's intentions and more as his past comments seem to have been a significant reason for others leaving this forum. If he has been excluded, that might be a step towards encouraging others to return.
Surely you are giving him too much credit. He is just comic relief.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:39 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:43 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
I ask, less out of interest in Tim's intentions and more as his past comments seem to have been a significant reason for others leaving this forum. If he has been excluded, that might be a step towards encouraging others to return.
Surely you are giving him too much credit. He is just comic relief.
Nick - I suspect that, for some people, he's less comic relief than a pain in a certain part of the anatomy.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Didn't Tim leave previously after deleting all his posts or is my memory failing me again?
Any postings on here represent my personal views