News

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

Re: News

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm

The very first (as far as I recall) FIDE Academy created for an English chess organisation was called the UK Chess Academy now located at

1 Gibbs Lane, Bethnal Green, London, E2 8QE, United Kingdom

The driving force behind it was the highly qualified Sainbayar Tserendorj who was a huge supporter of the UK Chess Challenge when it was operated by Mike Basman.

My memory of this is fuzzy but I believe that prior to this that the ECF did not feel a FIDE Academy would be of benefit to English Chess.

There was then a kerfuffle of some kind following STs initiative and the ECF decided they now needed to have a FIDE Academy of their own.

I suspect that they were annoyed to find themselves "caught napping".

Those who recently voted in favour of the EJCOA FIDE Academy application were:

1. Malcolm Pein
2. Natasha Regan
3. Aga Milewska
4. Dominic Lawson
5. Rob Willmoth

I will leave you to work out who voted against and their potential "reasons" for doing so.

It may not come as a surprise for you to learn who advocated against the application managing to change several minds in the process.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:13 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm
The very first (as far as I recall) FIDE Academy created for an English chess organisation was called the UK Chess Academy now located at

The driving force behind it was the highly qualified Sainbayar Tserendorj who was a huge supporter of the UK Chess Challenge when it was operated by Mike Basman.

My memory of this is fuzzy but I believe that prior to this that the ECF did not feel a FIDE Academy would be of benefit to English Chess.

There was then a kerfuffle of some kind following STs initiative and the ECF decided they now needed to have a FIDE Academy of their own.

1. Malcolm Pein
2. Natasha Regan
3. Aga Milewska
4. Dominic Lawson
5. Rob Willmoth

I will leave you to work out who voted against and their potential "reasons" for doing so.

It may not come as a surprise for you to learn who advocated against the application managing to change several minds in the process.
I think there was a concern that a non-ECF but England-based FIDE Academy could have representation at FIDE international junior events - and thus, potentially, there could be more than one "England" team at those events. Also Sainbayar was mates with the then FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and the academy business took place in the run up to the FIDE elections in which Kasparov was challenging Ilyumzhinov. Phil Ehr was agitated by the situation (I think influenced by others outside the Board) and somehow he signed up the ECF itself to be a FIDE Academy.

BTW, why does Dominic Lawson get to vote at Board meetings when he never attends them?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:13 pm
BTW, why does Dominic Lawson get to vote at Board meetings when he never attends them?
I believe DL attended this meeting and therefore was able to vote.

(correction : it transpires that DL passed his proxy vote to MBP as he was not able to attend).
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:19 pm

John Upham wrote:

1. Malcolm Pein
2. Natasha Regan
3. Aga Milewska
4. Dominic Lawson
5. Rob Willmoth

You appear to be suggesting that various directors came to the board meeting with open minds, considered the evidence and were convinced by the arguments put forward by those against the EJCOA proposals. The board may, or may not, have reached the best conclusion, but from what you have said it would appear that the Board is working effectively to take decisions.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:03 pm
Angus French wrote:
Well, the minutes record his apologies and the extract John Swain quoted above says "DL had given MP his proxy vote, stating that he supported the proposal for EJOCA to apply for FIDE Academy status".

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:28 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm
John Upham wrote:
Angus French wrote:
Well, the minutes record his apologies and the extract John Swain quoted above says "DL had given MP his proxy vote, stating that he supported the proposal for EJOCA to apply for FIDE Academy status".
Angus,

I am grateful for your correction.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 pm

ECF announcement showing some cooperation between the EJCOA (or EJOCA) and the ECF.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:28 pm
Angus French wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm
John Upham wrote:

Angus,

I am grateful for your correction.
For the record, Dominic Lawson does very occasionally attend Board meetings; he was last present at a meeting in London on 6 September 2019 (meeting no. 132).

It is also informative to scrutinise the attendance/non-attendance habits of Directors. Virtually all are very regular attenders. This may become a topic of discussion in September and October when the candidates for Board positions become known.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:15 pm

John Swain wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 pm
It is also informative to scrutinise the attendance/non-attendance habits of Directors. Virtually all are very regular attenders. This may become a topic of discussion in September and October when the candidates for Board positions become known.
Meetings are timed for weekdays, during normal working hours ( which generally suits me fine ). I have considered asking whether the Mem & Arts should be amended to make it clear that people under the age of 65, with regular jobs, are not considered suitable for positions on the ECF Board.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:15 pm
John Swain wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 pm
Meetings are timed for weekdays, during normal working hours ( which generally suits me fine ). I have considered asking whether the Mem & Arts should be amended to make it clear that people under the age of 65, with regular jobs, are not considered suitable for positions on the ECF Board.
Why are meetings always scheduled for the working day rather than varied?

I note from the latest minutes that changes are afoot:

"12. Draft Board Calendar for 2021/22 for Comment (JC)

It was agreed subject to reviewing the cost implications that JC would amend the draft calendar so that Board meetings would take place every two months and that Board’s meeting locations be assigned on a ratio of four virtual to two face-to-face.
144/08 JC to amend the draft calendar and circulate to the Board for comments."

Given the intention to hold two-thirds of meetings in future on Zoom, perhaps the timing of these can be varied beyond "normal working hours"?
I appreciate that some people work in the evenings and at weekends. I also appreciate that whatever day and time is selected, it will always be inconvenient for someone and last-minute emergencies can disrupt the best-laid plans.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 pm
ECF announcement showing some cooperation between the EJCOA (or EJOCA) and the ECF.
This is most promising and welcome.

The PR mentions "with the support of the English Chess Federation"

Do we know the specifics of the support?

Obviously there is mention the seminar on the ECF web site as a starter.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 pm

To be fair to Dominic Lawson the ECF constitution grants him a far more executive role than he has ever chosen to exercise in practice.

I can't personally see any reason for concern about the attendance of any other current director.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 pm
To be fair to Dominic Lawson the ECF constitution grants him a far more executive role than he has ever chosen to exercise in practice.

I can't personally see any reason for concern about the attendance of any other current director.
If Dominic rarely (previously I said 'never' but was rightly corrected by John Swain) attends, what happens to his vote? Is it passed to Malcolm Pein, who would then end up with two votes?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am

John Upham wrote:

1. Malcolm Pein
2. Natasha Regan
3. Aga Milewska
4. Dominic Lawson
5. Rob Willmoth

John, I assume all of this is true but can I ask how you know it?
John Upham wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm
Angus French wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:10 pm
This is most promising and welcome.

The PR mentions "with the support of the English Chess Federation"

Do we know the specifics of the support?

Obviously there is mention the seminar on the ECF web site as a starter.
I agree: it's promising and welcome news... Perhaps your source has further information?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:32 am

Angus French wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am

John, I assume all this is true but can I ask how you know it?
I agree: it's promising and welcome news... Perhaps your source has further information?
BCN makes enquiries with highly placed and reliable sources so that matters are corroborated.

It would be ideal to hear from a greater variety of sources but it would appear that they are subject to a gagging order or ECF "D-notice".

This works against them in the long run since BCN is not officially able to obtain a fully-rounded view.

Fortunately, there are persons subject to the gagging order who are pleased to nonetheless clarify their position whom I am grateful to.

As more substantiated information emerges it will be made clear.