News

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Roger Lancaster

Re: News

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:49 pm
I thought his "offence" in the case of the BCF was that he opened interest bearing accounts in his own name and transferred BCF funds into them. I don't know if it was ever established that he siphoned off some of the amounts or the interest on them.
That's pretty much my recollection as well. Money he received meant for the BCF was first paid into an account of his own, left there for a little while to earn some interest, and then passed on to the BCF.

When found out, I think he denied any wrongdoing, but agreed to pay the BCF the interest he had earned, which was a substantial amount.
Interesting question whether that's theft which I believe must include an intention to permanently deprive. But, if it isn't, I'm sure there's some other offence which is appropriate to the action - if that is indeed what he did. [All of which, while maybe interesting, is of course something of a diversion from the original subject].

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:57 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm
... but agreed to pay the BCF the interest he had earned, which was a substantial amount.
Those were the days.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm

I have to admit I have no knowledge of this case, but I don’t see how it is relevant to any contemporary issues. The person involved is not around to defend himself, so I think we should move on.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:56 am
The discussion is partly about how many people fall into that category.
There's an old joke which may even go back to the 1940s which was that the BCF was unable to hold a meeting of principal officers because they were all in jail I think three were cited, a notorious jailbird (according to BH Wood), a bigamist and someone else.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:20 pm

"I'm not sure if he was ever charged and convicted."

I thought he was removed from circulation for a while.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm
I have to admit I have no knowledge of this case, but I don’t see how it is relevant to any contemporary issues. The person involved is not around to defend himself, so I think we should move on.
It has given me pause for thought. I'd been thinking about how to disagree with Justin, but I'm uncomfortable that he might be right.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 pm

Criminal records don't prevent you being a councillor then - I'm not surprised. I think BCF's Ezra cover-up wasn't to protect him, but to try to avoid BCF looking stupid for employing him. Of course they looked much worse when the news broke. You might also ask how the accounts were amended and published without comment.
I am wary of relying too much on my chess memory from 35-40 years ago, which let me down very badly recently on another matter, but I comment:

(a) I'm not aware of any 'cover up' given that the matter was reported to ECF Council
(b) PJE was not 'employed' as such but was an unpaid volunteer as were almost all apart from me
(c) the then Hon Auditor, AJL 'Les' Wade, resigned the post (there was no imputation at all of any wrongdoing on his part)

Before all this came out I remember an unexpected and at the time mysterious visit to the BCF office by David Anderton for a sudden check on my office petty cash bank account.

PB

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 pm
(a) I'm not aware of any 'cover up' given that the matter was reported to ECF Council
I think the suggestion was that it could have been referred to the police for a fraud or similar investigation but wasn't. Wasn't the matter agreed closed by both parties without any admissions of wrong-doing?

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm not sure about that, my memory fails me. I think it was obvious that there had been wrong-doing so 'without any admission' would have little weight. I think BCF just wanted to move on.
I seem to recall - I reiterate, failing memory - that PJE was dismissed by the bank who employed him; indeed, it might even have been the bank who first spotted unusual activity. But I caveat my memory.

PB

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:55 pm
I think the suggestion was that it could have been referred to the police for a fraud or similar investigation but wasn't. Wasn't the matter agreed closed by both parties without any admissions of wrong-doing?
Paul Buswell wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm
I'm not sure about that, my memory fails me. I think it was obvious that there had been wrong-doing so 'without any admission' would have little weight. I think BCF just wanted to move on.

I seem to recall - I reiterate, failing memory - that PJE was dismissed by the bank who employed him; indeed, it might even have been the bank who first spotted unusual activity. But I caveat my memory.
My memory may also be failing me, but I think that BCF Newsflash at the time reported something like:

"Mr Ezra, who denies any wrongdoing, has agreed to repay (c.£1650) in instalments of £250. Council, at its meeting on [X date] resolved not to pursue the matter any further."

About three years later I was told by another chess official (not DWA or PB) that PJE's then employers had dismissed him at the time of the episode

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 am

I suspect your memory is right, David. As I was then Editor of 'Newsflash' it just shows how unreliable my memory now is.

PB

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:24 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm
Agreed.