ECU Coaching Course 101 : A great success!

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Upham

ECU Coaching Course 101 : A great success!

Post by John Upham » Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 am

Over the past weekend (May 15th & 16th) I was fortunate to be invited to attend the European Chess Union coaching course ECU101 delivered by Chess Plus

https://chessplus.net/upcoming-ecu-training-courses/

This was attended by large proportion of the coaches recently recruited and listed at https://ejogguide.co.uk/

I'd like to thank John Foley, Brigitta Peszleg and IM Jesper Bergmark Hall for their excellent course which appeared to be widely appreciated.

One of the more interesting discussions was an hour or so on the state of English chess.

I pointed out that the most recent recipient of the GM title who is both an active professional player and a UK resident received their title in 2008.

One of the points that almost everyone agreed upon was the severe lack of coordination between the bodies organising education and training for children and juniors. In fact, some remarked that they appeared to work against each other.

On a more positive notes the coaches went away happy that they had learnt a greal deal of ideas to use in their own lessons.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Re: ECU Coaching Course 101 : A great success!

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 17, 2021 10:22 am

"One of the points that almost everyone agreed upon was the severe lack of coordination between the bodies organising education and training for children and juniors. In fact, some remarked that they appeared to work against each other."

Have they only just noticed?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:22 am
"One of the points that almost everyone agreed upon was the severe lack of coordination between the bodies organising education and training for children and juniors. In fact, some remarked that they appeared to work against each other."

Have they only just noticed?
Not at all. This has been an unnecessary feature of English junior chess for years.

We would have liked to ask the ECF Director of Junior Chess and Education about this but that option was not available.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

RobWillmoth

Post by RobWillmoth » Sun May 23, 2021 5:06 pm

With the emergence of the National coaching and Junior Organisers group we are hoping to fill this void.

The group are looking to see what collaboration can occur between the different groups providing communication and coordination and structure to English coaching

Already the new group has achieved the following
1. A record number of English coaches taking the acclaimed ECU101 training course

2. A large part in the new ECF registered coaching scheme. We now I believe have a record number of coaches on the list with more still to be processed.

One of the groups objectives is to offer much more training to English coaches to improve standards as time passes. There are
More training courses scheduled in the near future

There are 338 coaches currently in the group. If you are a coach and not on the National group mailing
List, please contact me on [email protected] to be added

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun May 23, 2021 5:59 pm

I checked out the link to ECJOA and found this statement and a link

"We have however decided to list the coaches who have applied via the new English Chess Federation Registered Coaches Scheme. The reason for this is that the association feels that the ECF Registered Coaches Scheme is by far the best scheme developed by the ECF in a long time. It was launched in May 2021, and we look forward to further phases of the scheme."

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/new-ecf ... es-scheme/

On checking out the scheme I found the WFM title counting towards level 3 and the FM title counting towards level 4, whilst most FM's are more highly rated than most WFM, some WFM's are more highly rated than some FM's . So maybe someone could explain why an FM title counts for level 4 but a WFM title does not. Surely both should count (subject to a minimum rating or peak rating if that was felt necessary).
Last edited by David Shepherd on Sun May 23, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 23, 2021 6:17 pm

David Shepherd wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:59 pm
On checking out the scheme I found the WFM title counting towards level 3 and the FM title counting towards level 4, whilst most FM's are more highly rated than most WFM, some WFM's are more highly rated than some FM's . So maybe someone could explain why an FM title counts for level 4 but a WFM title does not. Surely both should count subject to a minimum rating (or peak rating) if that was really felt necessary.
The difference between having these titles and having achieved the required rating is generally the payment of a fee.

Would you be happier if "FM title" were replaced by "having had at some point a published rating of at least 2300" and "WFM title" by "in the case of a female player, having had at some point a published rating of at least 2100"?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:17 pm
Would you be happier if "FM title" were replaced by "having had at some point a published rating of at least 2300" and "WFM title" by "in the case of a female player, having had at some point a published rating of at least 2100"?
It feels to me like it is sending out the wrong message that WFM is not included with the titles listed in 4 and is instead listed in 3.

I was thinking more along the lines for example of either
a) WFM and FM both being included in 4 or
b) WFM and FM being included in both 3 and 4, with 4 also having a requirement for those titles of a peak rating in excess of x (x for example being 2200 or 2300).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm

David Shepherd wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 pm
b) WFM and FM being included in both 3 and 4, with 4 also having a requirement for those titles of a peak rating in excess of x (x for example being 2200 or 2300).
I do not see the logic of using 2200, when the FM reqirement is 2300. The latter would exclude nearly all WFMs.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun May 23, 2021 9:34 pm

I think the point I was trying to make was that it seemed wrong to exlude holders of the female equivalent of the FM title if we are tring to encourage more female participation. There was no particular logic to 2200 other than it was half way between 2100 and 2300, but my view would simply be that WFM's should have been included in level 4.

It is true that 2300 would exclude the majority of WFM's (worldwide 2 are currently ranked over 2300) but it would also exclude some FM's as would a 2200 limit or indeed 2100.

I think in terms of numbers with ENG registration the title clause for level 4 as it stands, currently includes 208 men and 19 women.

There are 14 WFMs (two currently rated over 2100)

There are 111 male FMs of which 73 are currently rated below 2300 and 6 below 2100 (this would leave plenty of scope for a WFM to have a higher rating than an FM but not be eligible for the FM title).

There will be other players resident in England who would count under the scheme (ie resident but non ENG reg).

PS Sorry if I have taken the thread off course.