Junior OtB event - April 15th: Simultaneous game and analysis with IM Adam Taylor

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Wadih Khoury

Junior OtB event - April 15th: Simultaneous game and analysis with IM Adam Taylor

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am

As it says on the tin: I decided to take the leap and organise an Over the Board (OtB) junior event, open to all children under the age of 18. It will be in Henley-on-Thames (central location on the market place) on Thursday April 15th, and will be a 4 hour event:
  1. A simultaneous game against IM Adam Taylor (coach of European and British junior champions.)
  2. An analysis of all the games with Adam
Doors open 9:30, event starts 10:00 sharp. Analysis will start after a short break once the simul ends (simul will end at 12:00 latest). Event ends 14:00.

Entry fees of £15 to cover costs.
Prizes for children who manage to win (or failing that draw), for best game(s) and best move(s).

Capacity is limited to 15 children.
Unfortunately, the law will not allow parents to stay in the same room as the children, but the location is quite central with shops, supermarkets, the weekly market, pubs (they will be allowed to re-open their beer gardens) and scenic Thames walk all nearby.

Although there are no level limits, I strongly recommend that the children have a "minimum" level. i.e, they will get limited benefits from the event if they try a fool's mate against a IM and lose in 15 minutes then have to wait 2 hours for the analysis part to start.

Registration link here: https://forms.gle/JYRbqdsQgxffwuzP8

Let me know if I missed any important information.
Last edited by Wadih Khoury on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Raoof

Re: Junior OtB event - April 15th: Simultaneous game and analysis with IM Adam Taylor

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am

Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ian Thompson

Re: Junior OtB event - April 15th: Simultaneous game and analysis with IM Adam Taylor

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am
A couple of comments on what you've said:
  • "When the exhibitor is standing in front of your board, make your move (within 5 seconds) while the exhibitor is observing." - Will the 5 seconds still apply when there are only 1 or 2 games still in progress?
  • "The exhibitor’s move is not final until he or she touches a piece on the next board." and "The Master will verbalise his move in algebraic format and the player will physically move the piece." - As the Master won't be touching pieces on the board maybe change the first sentence to say the move is final when the exhibitor makes a move on the next board.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am
A couple of comments on what you've said:
  • "When the exhibitor is standing in front of your board, make your move (within 5 seconds) while the exhibitor is observing." - Will the 5 seconds still apply when there are only 1 or 2 games still in progress?
  • "The exhibitor’s move is not final until he or she touches a piece on the next board." and "The Master will verbalise his move in algebraic format and the player will physically move the piece." - As the Master won't be touching pieces on the board maybe change the first sentence to say the move is final when the exhibitor makes a move on the next board.
Thanks well spotted, I took some rules I found online, and didn't adapt them to my modifications, will do that now.

For what happens when there are 2 boards left, I will need to check what is the usual rule in simuls with no clocks (which seem to be the norm in Otb)
And yes, with covid, I'll have the players move the piece of the master.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 am

Those who are in touch with the junior scene in Thames valley or M25, can you forward them the link to the event: https://forms.gle/JYRbqdsQgxffwuzP8

I got a few registrations but need more to make sure the event goes ahead. A few families told me they would have liked to participate, but since it's the first week where some form of holiday is allowed, they are going away for a break.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am

Already circulated in Watford area, Wadih, and something tells me that not everyone can go for a break at the same time - the infrastructure just won't stand it - so there are going to be plenty of families still around. I don't know, however, how strong the appetites are for this type of event.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 pm

I HOPE no taking children out of school with fines. HOPE meets travel rules - local. NO holiday is allowed.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 pm
I HOPE no taking children out of school with fines. HOPE meets travel rules - local. NO holiday is allowed.
A curious post, given that the event is during the school holidays.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 pm

Many schools go back on Monday 12th NicK