Curious email request...

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Post Reply
John Upham
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Curious email request...

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Received this today....

"I am enquiring on behalf of my client who is looking for his son to take part in a competition as his son has been playing chess for a while now.

Basically his dad wants to sign him up for a well known and a reputable competition where he will get a certificate and a title and from the research i have done it has lead me to you. It would be absolutely great if you could advise me procedure of taking part in a tournament, does he need to sign up to be a member of a club first, or how does it work exactly? "

I find the certificate request a little odd : perhaps I shouldn't?

Opinions?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7627
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Curious email request...

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 pm

Sounds like the sort of thing some parents who outsource things would seek to have arranged. I don't find the request strange, more the fact that there are businesses where people sort out requests like that. Wish I could outsource some of the things I have to research or arrange myself! :lol:

BTW, might not be that sensible for this to be discussed publicly, as it would be pretty obvious to those asking what you are talking about. If they are able to do enough research for them to contact you, they would easily be able to find this forum as well (which does show up when you use internet search engines).

John Upham
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Curious email request...

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 pm
Sounds like the sort of thing some parents who outsource things would seek to have arranged. I don't find the request strange, more the fact that there are businesses where people sort out requests like that. Wish I could outsource some of the things I have to research or arrange myself! :lol:

BTW, might not be that sensible for this to be discussed publicly, as it would be pretty obvious to those asking what you are talking about. If they are able to do enough research for them to contact you, they would easily be able to find this forum as well (which does show up when you use internet search engines).
No names or demographics have been revealed as far as I can tell. Are you able to work out who I am referring to?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: Curious email request...

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:50 pm

Most likely spam in my opinion.

Does it mention your name, or anything else to suggest they have done some research to identify you as suitable (other than finding you have an association with chess)?

What e-mail address has it come from?

John Upham
Posts: 5170
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Curious email request...

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:50 pm
Most likely spam in my opinion.

Does it mention your name, or anything else to suggest they have done some research to identify you as suitable (other than finding you have an association with chess)?

What e-mail address has it come from?
You and I have come to the same conclusion Ian. I have replied but...

Fingers crossed it is genuine.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: Curious email request...

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 pm

Just make sure you cross your fingers on only one hand.

User avatar
Paul Robert Jackson
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Re: Curious email request...

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:57 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:56 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:50 pm
Most likely spam in my opinion.

Does it mention your name, or anything else to suggest they have done some research to identify you as suitable (other than finding you have an association with chess)?

What e-mail address has it come from?
You and I have come to the same conclusion Ian. I have replied but...

Fingers crossed it is genuine.
Unless you are !00% the email addresses' are genuine
....then it is SPAM!!
Hopefully no Malware attached.
Paul Robert Jackson

E Michael White
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: Curious email request...

Post by E Michael White » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm

I don't think this is very likely to be malicious spam. In junior events 30-40 years ago, players were often given certificates confirming they had competed. Perhaps his dad still has one he received !

Nick Grey
Posts: 1763
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Curious email request...

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm

We have been issuing certificates to juniors playing county chess.

Post Reply