Second Junior OTB tournament in Oxfordshire

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Joseph Conlon

Second Junior OTB tournament in Oxfordshire

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:41 pm

I'm planning to run another junior OTB tournament in Oxford on Sunday 10th January 2021 - subject of course to any changes in government policies.

Overall capacity is 30, plan is split into smaller all-play-alls / Swisses to ensure no section larger than 15.

Entry form and more details at

https://shorturl.at/cjCL2

Wadih Khoury

Re: Second Junior OTB tournament in Oxfordshire

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:24 am

Hi Joseph,

Any impacts of recent tier changes to the tournament?

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:41 am

Hi Wadih,

Still working it out - I've seen the headlines (along with everyone else) but haven't looked carefully enough yet at the detailed rules.

The key exemption the tournament relies on is for 'supervised activities provided for children', i.e. being in an analogous category for youth groups and other organised events for children that do not fit under the education or sports categories.

This exemption wasn't there in the November lockdown but was there within all tiers in the recent tier 1/2/3 system. I have not checked yet for the implications of yesterday's announcements (or enquired yet whether the school policy regarding external bookings will change as a consequence).

Joe

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:41 am
Still working it out - I've seen the headlines (along with everyone else) but haven't looked carefully enough yet at the detailed rules.
I believe Oxfordshire is still tier 2 so you may find the Thames Valley police indulging in their fantasies of becoming the Stasi by erecting a virtual wall along the eastern and southern borders with Berks and Bucks.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:33 pm
I believe Oxfordshire is still tier 2 so you may find the Thames Valley police indulging in their fantasies of becoming the Stasi by erecting a virtual wall along the eastern and southern borders with Berks and Bucks.
I think you can bet on that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:58 pm

Although there are several people I would be happy to see disappear, I've lived in the Thames Valley police area since the formation of the force and have never seen any hint of Stasi like fantasies, nor police brutality comparable to that experienced in East Germany.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi I think that the year 7 and your booking are the issues. Why not run it on line. Your Tier Travel makes most of this a NO.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Further to above:

I have now read the tier 4 guidelines and these have changed the nature of the 'supervised activities for children' exemption. In tier 4 this only exists when necessary for parents to work, and it also states that youth clubs and groups will not be able to open.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home

"You can leave home for education related to the formal curriculum or training, registered childcare, under-18 sport and physical activity, and supervised activities for children that are necessary to allow parents/carers to work, seek work, or undertake education or training."

"Some youth services are able to continue, such as 1-1 youth work and support groups, but most youth clubs and groups will need to cease for this period."

So while Oxfordshire currently remains tier 2 this means I will not be able to accept entries from those in tier 4.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Hope Oxfordshire remains in tier 2 but has taken London less than half a week to go from 2 to 3 to 4. Why not have an online backup plan. Your chance to make 100s of children, parents/carers and Ecf happy

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 pm

There are plenty of excellent opportunities for children to play online - what I am trying to offer is the opportunity to play over the board at the moment.

No one is required to enter and I recognise there are those who do not wish to play OTB at the moment.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Joseph in tier 2 Oxfordshire West/South you will not be able to hold a Junior chess tournament indoors. OTB . Merry christmas.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:00 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:55 pm
Joseph in tier 2 Oxfordshire West/South you will not be able to hold a Junior chess tournament indoors. OTB . Merry christmas.
I believe the rules do allow junior events in tier 2 (I think the ECF website even details how it was done last time, and the rules it complies to)
Tier 2 does not allow adult events though (tier 1 is ok).

The main question is whether Oxfordshire will magically hold. I do hope so.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:37 am

Nick:

In tier 2 or 3 'supervised activities provided for children' are permitted activities which are exemptions to various Covid rules about meetings. A junior chess tournament falls under this category.

In tier 4 'supervised activities provided for children' are ONLY permitted if they are basically a childcare arrangement necessary for the parent to work.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 pm
There are plenty of excellent opportunities for children to play online - what I am trying to offer is the opportunity to play over the board at the moment.

No one is required to enter and I recognise there are those who do not wish to play OTB at the moment.
Hi Joseph. Fantastic to see that you have another OTB tournament taking place in January. You've got my support on this.
I'll mention it to our Juniors in Lancashire.
Are you able to open up the tournament for non silver members. You might get more interest from new players.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Lancashire is in Tier 3, so you're not supposed to be leaving your local area

I'm hoping Joseph gets lucky with this, but Oxfordshire is next door to Tier 4 areas, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't in Tier 4 by 10 January (then again, we all might be by then)
Any postings on here represent my personal views