ECF Online County U18 Championship 2020

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Sedgwick

ECF Online County U18 Championship 2020

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm

The ECF Online County Championship 2020 took place yesterday, Saturday 21st November. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to have been a thread on this Forum until now.

The format was similar to that of the FIDE Online Olympiad, with teams comprising two Open U18 Boards, two Girls U18 Boards, one Open U11 Board and one Girls U11 Board.

Twelve Counties took part. Warwickshire were the winners, with Kent second and Oxfordshire third. Congratulations to all of them.

Full Results: http://chess-results.com/tnr541241.aspx ... ES&flag=30.

When I have been able to check one or two facts, I shall post about Fair Play issues.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Re: ECF Online County U18 Championship 2020

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:44 pm
When I have been able to check one or two facts, I shall post about Fair Play issues.
The strict Fair Play Regulations for the Championship can be found at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... mpionship/.

I am pleased to say that the arbiters have no reason to suspect that any players cheated, nor were any false allegations made. This is the first time I have been able to make that statement for any important British event with which I have been involved, either as an arbiter or as a player.

David Sedgwick (in another thread) wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am
Were the previously identified cheats excluded from the event? I was a bit disturbed to hear that one player was caught cheating then played another one immediately afterwards, but that was ok as he didn't cheat on that occasion!
There was one player with "form", but who continues to protest his innocence to this day. I express no judgment on that.

He has served the prescribed period of exclusion in respect of the earlier event, so he was allowed to play.
For the avoidance of doubt, my comments in the paragraph above the quotation include the player in question.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm

For the record, this U18 event was won by Warwickshire, congratulations to them.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm
For the record, this U18 event was won by Warwickshire, congratulations to them.
Whoops! I shall correct the glaring omission from my original post.

Edit: Now done. I apologise to Warwickshire.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 pm
The strict Fair Play Regulations for the Championship can be found at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... mpionship/.
It would be interesting to know the rational for some of them:
  • What's the problem with using a tablet to play?
  • Why can a touchscreen not be used to make moves?
  • Why does the use of a trackpad need arbiter approval?
  • If I'd been playing, and using a trackpoint instead of a mouse, as I often do, would that have been OK (and why, either way)?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 pm
It would be interesting to know the rational for some of them:
  • What's the problem with using a tablet to play?
  • Why can a touchscreen not be used to make moves?
  • Why does the use of a trackpad need arbiter approval?
  • If I'd been playing, and using a trackpoint instead of a mouse, as I often do, would that have been OK (and why, either way)?
I don't have the expertise to respond, but I know that similar points were raised by the team captains at the Technical Meeting.