U11 Junior Tournament in Oxfordshire

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Joseph Conlon

Re: U11 Junior Tournament in Oxfordshire

Post by Joseph Conlon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks, Roger. It is indeed helpful and it is good to see that the 'supervised activities provided for children' category holds in all tiers.

I am still hopeful of going ahead while at the same time recognising that the government could announce pretty much anything over the next week in terms of policy.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:50 pm

Best of luck for tomorrow, Joseph.
Perhaps you could report back to the forum next week, as to how the tournament went.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Tournament ran successfully (I think) today. 13 children and we played 8 rounds. 1st Reya Li 7/8 2nd = Harry Bryant, Cian Ward 6.5/8. Special mention to 5-year old debutant Ayan Pradhan with 3.5/8.

Full results will go on UTUSwiss when I sort out some problems uploading them.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Results now on UTU Swiss

http://results.utuswiss.co.uk/default

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:08 am

Great to know it went well! Thank you for helping the return of OtB.

Did you have more expressions of interest than the 13 who played?

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks Wadih - there were several withdrawals in advance (parents worried about the general rise in covid) and some enquiries which didn't translate to entries.

And also it was clear that there is a strand of opinion (from people who I respect even if I disagree with them) that over-the-board events should not be taking place at this time, whether or not they are allowed.

Once I have collected my thoughts I will write a longer post about junior events at the current time and ways they can take place, at the various levels of junior chess.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:30 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 am
Thanks Wadih - there were several withdrawals in advance (parents worried about the general rise in covid) and some enquiries which didn't translate to entries.

And also it was clear that there is a strand of opinion (from people who I respect even if I disagree with them) that over-the-board events should not be taking place at this time, whether or not they are allowed.

Once I have collected my thoughts I will write a longer post about junior events at the current time and ways they can take place, at the various levels of junior chess.
You had my support Joseph.
Regrettably, Lancashire is in Tier 3, which put off parents from travelling down to Oxfordshire.
Any interesting games or positions?