BBC News HD

National developments, strategies and ideas.
James Pratt

BBC News HD

Post by James Pratt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 pm

I have just seen Karpov playing 4 ... Qb6 against Nicky Ivell in a 'this day in 1977' slot/shot' when the then World Champion took on 10 Barden Babes. They called the games 'matches' and had no time to say Tolya won +9=1-0 but still. Staged in London during the 1977 British in Brighton. Almost nostalgic? If only we could have events like that now.

Or maybe we could ?

James

Nick Ivell

Re: BBC News HD

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:24 am

Barden babe present and correct. The game was a French by transposition. Karpov told me after the game he was following an old idea of Igor Zaitsev. We had a quick chat after the game at a time when his English wasn't the best, albeit better than my Russian - I think the Soviet Union provided an interpreter.

I don't regard simuls as serious chess. Karpov didn't trust the French in real life - I recall a serious reverse against Geller. I even recall him allowing a Winawer against our own Peter Markland, and probing all of Black's weak points - CHOD Alexander wrote about this brilliantly.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:05 pm

I enjoyed watching it on BBC News. I was quite impressed with Karpov's pale blue suit.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 pm

James Pratt wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 pm
I have just seen Karpov playing 4 ... Qb6 against Nicky Ivell in a 'this day in 1977' slot/shot' when the then World Champion took on 10 Barden Babes. They called the games 'matches' and had no time to say Tolya won +9=1-0 but still. Staged in London during the 1977 British in Brighton. Almost nostalgic? If only we could have events like that now.

Or maybe we could ?

James
It is being shown again on BBC News this week.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:22 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:24 am
Barden babe present and correct. The game was a French by transposition. Karpov told me after the game he was following an old idea of Igor Zaitsev. We had a quick chat after the game at a time when his English wasn't the best, albeit better than my Russian - I think the Soviet Union provided an interpreter.

I don't regard simuls as serious chess. Karpov didn't trust the French in real life - I recall a serious reverse against Geller. I even recall him allowing a Winawer against our own Peter Markland, and probing all of Black's weak points - CHOD Alexander wrote about this brilliantly.
You are back on the BBC News this week again Nick. Repeat of you against Karpov in his pale blue suit.