Online chess for young players

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Zigmond

Online chess for young players

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 pm

I've just had to cancel the junior club I run until further notice and I suspect many others will be in the same boat. Some of my students have expressed an interest in continuing online in some form. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how this can safely be done?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Nick Grey

Re: Online chess for young players

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Get all the junior organisers on this. Bob

Any schools network infrastructure Will be hit by closures.

My employers network infrastructure hit by 1000s working from home. Many for the first time.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 pm
I've just had to cancel the junior club I run until further notice and I suspect many others will be in the same boat. Some of my students have expressed an interest in continuing online in some form. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how this can safely be done?
Andrew, can I just check that you have seen the threads started by Paul McKeown at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10683 and by Peter Hornsby at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10693.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Andrew, can I just check that you have seen the threads started by Paul McKeown at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10683 and by Peter Hornsby at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10693.
Thank you David for your reply (and to another individual who sent me an email). The challenge I have is with a specific group of youngsters, mainly in the 11-13 bracket with limited match experience. Obviously with social media there are certain safeguarding principles I need to be careful of to ensure that the group isn't infiltrated by outsiders.

Ideally I'm looking at a closed group where they can play each other and I can share hints and tips. I'm experimenting with chess kids but haven't quite got to grips with it yet and the site isn't free.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 pm
Ideally I'm looking at a closed group where they can play each other and I can share hints and tips. I'm experimenting with chess kids but haven't quite got to grips with it yet and the site isn't free.
Andrew

You can set up a closed group on, for example, Lichess where Watford Juniors among others have already done this.

Also, you and others may be interested in yesterday's proposal from Mike Truran to set up an online J4NCL.

Regards, Roger

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 pm
Andrew

You can set up a closed group on, for example, Lichess where Watford Juniors among others have already done this.

Also, you and others may be interested in yesterday's proposal from Mike Truran to set up an online J4NCL.

Regards, Roger
Thank you for this Roger. I've set up an account on Lichess and think I have the closed group ready. Mike has also contacted me about the online J4NCL.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm

This seems like an amazing opportunity for us to teach children chess - they will be stuck at home with nothing to do and parents will want help. I suggest the following are needed:

1 a software programme to communicate with the children - zoom is pretty good and teachers are using this for lessons
2 a library of worksheets to give to children of different levels
3 a library of puzzle to help them improve
4 decent software to demo games and puzzles
5 some child protection guidance so we do not fall foul of any allegations (however unfounded) - i suggest we made it clear that it is to parents responsiblity to monitor the children at all times when online
6 a game room to set up tournaments between schools.
7 training for teachers on the software.

Chess coaches may want to charge for the higher level lessons not least because they have to earn a living.

How does that sound people?

I will copy this to Mike T, Alex H and chess in schools for their thoughts as well as a few chess teachers i know. i suggest we then hold a zoom meeting to allocate responsibilities. Apologies if all of this is in progress already. i have been a bit out of touch recently.

Alan

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:17 am

Having corresponded with Mike Truran, it would appear the very hard working team at CSC have the matter in hand. However i have no doubt they would appreciate volunteers to help drive the project forward. In the meantime anyone wants help with Zoom ping me a dm.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm
I
5 some child protection guidance so we do not fall foul of any allegations (however unfounded) - i suggest we made it clear that it is to parents responsiblity to monitor the children at all times when online
On that specific point I'd strongly recommend [a] use of a platform which includes the facility to disable messaging and drawing parents' attention, inter alia, to the fact that that facility exists.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 am
Alan Kennedy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm
I
On that specific point I'd strongly recommend [a] use of a platform which includes the facility to disable messaging and drawing parents' attention, inter alia, to the fact that that facility exists.

Zoom has a facility for a co host which is a bit like the leaving the door open policy that some child protection policies use. I certainly would encourage members not to be in a one on one situation with any child online or otherwise. No doubt we will hear something shortly on the issue from the ECF - based on extremely the prompt response to my ask the Directors question (all the relevant Directors responded within 30 minutes to the above post), everyone at the ECF recognises it is a huge opportunity to expand chess playing in this country and are working very hard to get things moving (well done guys!). The best we as a community can do is volunteer for CSC and offer to help as an when needed.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Further to my post above CSC are being very helpful to get the club up and running. i have now gone live! the 30 lessons of worksheets combined with www.chesskid.com and Zoom allow even the most nerdy chess player to become a chess coach! :D

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:36 pm

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:15 pm

we had our first meeting - 15 players turned up and lots of good feedback. i would recommend using Zoom and Chesskid supplemented by the CSC and Richard James public domain materials

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Zoom appears to be on a barred list Education and Childrens services. i have No idea how you can engage the 40 percent of kids with no access online.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:24 pm
Zoom appears to be on a barred list Education and Childrens services.
When the security scares about Zoom came to the fore we consulted an IT expert and agreed the following protocols :

1 Advising users not to sign in using the same password as other systems and
2 not to click on chat links or share links in the chat box
3 not to log on using facebook or google but have your own log in

I wont bore you with the technical reasosn for this but would be pleased to forward the emails to you if it is considered an issue. It took several hours to read about and understand the IT issues. If i was a local council i would not advise my workforce to use Zoom from the the office largely because i coudl not be certain that the staff would understand the issues. I am however and will continue to use Zoom as did one of the parents (who is sufficiently high up the the government security service that i trust his view more than yours. As i said dm me if you want further information. Apart from the the IT issues what did you think of the video https://bit.ly/2xU0QsN I posted on the other thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10721&p=243114#p243114 the posts there and above
Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:24 pm
i have No idea how you can engage the 40 percent of kids with no access online.
Nor do i but on a point of information the government site on the issue suggests "While almost all households had access to the internet, 7% did not." which would suggest 93% had internet accesss not 60% as you suggest. have i misunderstood the stats? If so apologies. the source is https://bit.ly/2JRegbF Either way online chess clubs wont harm the cause.

Incidentally i had my second meeting today - we are up to 17 registrations and 14 turned up. To have had any more woudl have been a bit of a challenge as we were teaching them how to use chesskids. I have found that aspect of the process quite challenging using screen shares extensively to help the parents. I have the children doing voluminous puzzles so hopefully that will keep them out of trouble!