European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Swain

European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships

Post by John Swain » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 pm

The European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships are underway in Tallinn, Estonia including a large English contingent in some of the younger age groups. The Rapid Championship started today and concludes tomorrow with the Blitz Championship on Saturday. For individual and team results, plus details of the players, see the links at: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... and-blitz/

Alex Holowczak

Re: European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 pm

John Swain wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 pm
The European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships are underway in Tallinn, Estonia including a large English contingent in some of the younger age groups. The Rapid Championship started today and concludes tomorrow with the Blitz Championship on Saturday. For individual and team results, plus details of the players, see the links at: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... and-blitz/
Actually, the European Youth Rapid & Blitz finished a few days ago.

The European Rapid & Blitz, at the same venue, did indeed start today.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 pm
John Swain wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 pm
Actually, the European Youth Rapid & Blitz finished a few days ago.

The European Rapid & Blitz, at the same venue, did indeed start today.
My mistake - I misread the details on the organiser's website.

I find it a bit strange, with so many England players involved, that no one has commented on this "done and dusted" event until today.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 am

John Swain wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 pm
I find it a bit strange, with so many England players involved, that no one has commented on this "done and dusted" event until today.
It only lasted three days!

But I'm not surprised no one has commented on it. The Conference here in London wondered why so few people had commented on the Women's Chess strategy Chris Fegan published on the ECF website. Nick Faulks wondered why no one had commented on the GCT Finals. Maybe everyone here is just rather running out of puff to discuss things? :shock:

Maybe the Board should propose a new membership scheme or a County Championship rulechange proposal to get everybody fired up? :?

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 am

I’ll start the ball rolling:

1) Were parents and children recommended to play in this event ?

2) How much did it cost to fund the trip for, typically, one parent and child?

3) Do parents think good value was obtained by making the trip? Admittedly, Tallinn must be a fabulous place to go to at this time of year.

4) By playing in this event, were children part of an ‘ England ‘ team, endorsed by the ECF?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 am
I’ll start the ball rolling:

1) Were parents and children recommended to play in this event ?

2) How much did it cost to fund the trip for, typically, one parent and child?

3) Do parents think good value was obtained by making the trip? Admittedly, Tallinn must be a fabulous place to go to at this time of year.

4) By playing in this event, were children part of an ‘ England ‘ team, endorsed by the ECF?
1. Everyone who met the selection criteria - see the policy - were invited.
2. The entry fees were 40 Euros, and for that they got 16 rounds of Rapid and 9 rounds of Blitz. The accommodation was 114 Euros per night for a double room (i.e. 1 parent and 1 child). Travel arrangements were the responsibility of the traveller.
3. In terms of value for money, I added these tournaments for the selection policy precisely because some parents cannot afford to go on the 11-day tournaments, but the 3-day ones they can just about manage. So even if it is expensive, it does give a large number of children a cheaper way of getting to one of these events than might otherwise be the case.
4. Yes.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Out of curiosity, when did the ECF last secure a World or European junior championship in England? And are there any plans to obtain one in the pipeline?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm
Out of curiosity, when did the ECF last secure a World or European junior championship in England? And are there any plans to obtain one in the pipeline?
Teesside in 1973 one might suspect.

I suspect hotel prices in the UK work against it. Most of these International junior events probably rely for financing on being able to charge retail prices to participants, but get wholesale prices for the accommodation.

Back in 1997, the European Team Championships were going to be in Torquay. Several Federations were able to lobby Kirsan that it would be too expensive in England and the event was switched to Georgia.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm
None whatsoever, for all the reasons Roger said.