World Junior Under 20 Chess Championship

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Richard Bates

Re: World Junior Under 20 Chess Championship

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 am

Perhaps he was a bit more careful in what his doctor’s note said?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 pm
In the more recent case, Tabatabaei is continuing in the tournament, so apparently it's not a case of a FIDE ban.
Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 am
Perhaps he was a bit more careful in what his doctor’s note said?
Keep up guys! :wink:

Pairings were published for Round 7 with Tabatabaei not paired. The pairings are now published again saying "(Updated pairing at 00:42 hrs 20.10.2019 after Appeal committee decision)". It would appear to a detached observer as though the arbiters decided not to pair Tabatabaei, the Iranians appealed, and the committee agreed with the Iranians and decided the pairings had to be republished with Tabatabaei in them,

The statements on the Iranian Chess Federation website imply heavily that Gholani withdrew from the tournament in protest of being paired against the Israeli, rather than merely defaulting the game in protest. The equivalent statement about Tabatabaei only commented that he didn't turn up to play the game against the Israeli, thereby giving the arbiters a decision to make.

One arbiter who expected he might have to handle a similar problem this month made sure he had clear instructions from FIDE on how an equivalent situation should be handled, and communicated this to the Iranians more than a month in advance of the tournament. This meant everyone knew where they stood. Judging by the goings on in the World Junior so far, equivalent conversations may have helped the arbiters in the specific case of the decision to be made before making the Round 7 pairings.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 am

"One arbiter who expected he might have to handle a similar problem this month made sure he had clear instructions from FIDE on how an equivalent situation should be handled, and communicated this to the Iranians more than a month in advance of the tournament. This meant everyone knew where they stood. "

Very sensible!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am
The statements on the Iranian Chess Federation website imply heavily that Gholani withdrew from the tournament in protest of being paired against the Israeli, rather than merely defaulting the game in protest.
So what was the doctor's note about?
The equivalent statement about Tabatabaei only commented that he didn't turn up to play the game against the Israeli, thereby giving the arbiters a decision to make.
I wonder why they would instruct the two players to behave in different ways?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:
The statements on the Iranian Chess Federation website imply heavily that Gholani withdrew from the tournament in protest of being paired against the Israeli, rather than merely defaulting the game in protest.
The equivalent statement about Tabatabaei only commented that he didn't turn up to play the game against the Israeli, thereby giving the arbiters a decision to make.
Perhaps it's an indication that although Iran is a theocracy it's not a completely authoritarian state and individuals are left to make their own decisions, which is a bit tough on teenage players (and/or whatever trainers accompany them).

I believe the new FIDE policy is right and hope it will put pressure on Iran to change its policy, or else to stop sending individuals and teams to competitions where they may meet Israeli opponents. If that means we lose Iran from major international competitions, frankly I don't care.

Criticism of arbiters for making correct pairings is out of order in my opinion.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Perhaps it's an indication that although Iran is a theocracy it's not a completely authoritarian state and individuals are left to make their own decisions, which is a bit tough on teenage players (and/or whatever trainers accompany them).

I believe the new FIDE policy is right and hope it will put pressure on Iran to change its policy, or else to stop sending individuals and teams to competitions where they may meet Israeli opponents. If that means we lose Iran from major international competitions, frankly I don't care.

Criticism of arbiters for making correct pairings is out of order in my opinion.
It means that we would see less of some very good players, which is a shame. But yes, maybe that is up to their authorities in the end - I don't buy the line that the country being locked out of international sport generally would be of no consequence to them.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:38 pm

The Brits have struggled a bit after the rest day, both losing two on the bounce. Ravi Haria is now in equal 25th and Holden Davis is equal 91st. 3 rounds to go!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Ravi and Holden sign off their junior years with respectable scores of 6.5/11 and 4/11 in a tough World Junior Championship.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Despite his minus score HD might still have picked up some rating points there?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:59 pm

I think so. And from his confidence point of view he picked up some of his first scoring games against titled players, with an assortment of draws against CM's and FM's.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:38 pm
Despite his minus score HD might still have picked up some rating points there?
23 if chess-results is correct.

http://chess-results.com/tnr479945.aspx ... =30&snr=91

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Roger >23 if chess-results is correct.<

I have only noticed errors with chess-reults.com where unrated players are involved. Everybody was rated in this event.
David Holden scored just 3/10. He won on default against Aditya Mittal IM who withdrew from the tournament that round for whatever reason.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm
Roger >23 if chess-results is correct.<

I have only noticed errors with chess-reults.com where unrated players are involved. Everybody was rated in this event.
David Holden scored just 3/10. He won on default against Aditya Mittal IM who withdrew from the tournament that round for whatever reason.
His name is Davis.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:33 pm

The slightly maligned Holden Davis is having an excellent FIDE Open at the London Chess Classic, taking down a 2186 Swedish player today for a healthy 3/5 score. He’s obviously used the World Junior Championships as a good springboard and must be putting plenty of hard work into his chess.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Yes, good to see him doing well.