World Youth Championships

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: World Youth Championships

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:38 pm
Let's not beat about the bush here.
That's why we want definite 100% confirmation that it is the same person, I suppose.

If it indeed is, I don't think there can really be much doubt.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Additionally they were selecting board numbers and using the metal detector wand before the game on those in that pairing. If there were any other checks being carried out, they weren't publicised.
There were also random post-game metal detector checks (I waa subject to one), inluding the lesser sections, not just the FIDE Open.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Having now read the account on Tim's blog and following comments, it's surprising that the original story wasn't treated with more scepticism. Maybe it was, but nobody wanted to say anything on the record...

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 pm

It’s definitely a curious one! It could easily be a name slip up.

Eight months ago there was a Lichess account under the name DeclanLovelock, closed with the headline ‘this player uses computer assistance.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Although Grandmaster Vladislav Tkachiev showed the method a while back on Chessbase;
Tkachiev has the advantage of being a GM and thus more than capable of playing based on advice and hints. Someone not of that standard wouldn't be able to without being told detailed moves.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Looks like he also has a stupendous (debut season) club chess record coming up for grading, which hasn’t reached the ECF grading site yet. 13.5/14 with wins against the likes of FM Mike Waddington and Allan Pleasants.

http://ecflms.org.uk/lms/league_player/19082/games

The match reports are interesting. He usually finishes with more time than he started, and in the one draw he appears to have used an hour of thinking time in total.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:40 pm
He usually finishes with more time than he started, and in the one draw he appears to have thought for a full hour at one point.
I think it actually says that his clock showed an elapsed time of one hour.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:09 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:53 pm
Just out of curiosity, we’re the anti-cheating protocols stricter at the London Chess Classic than you would find at your average chess congress?
In the FIDE Open, they were insisting that mobile phones be switched off completely and placed in a bag, but that's as normal for 4NCL events. Additionally they were selecting board numbers and using the metal detector wand before the game on those in that pairing. If there were any other checks being carried out, they weren't publicised.
In addition to that, all of the results in everything that was either captured was screened by Ken Regan's screening tool. Even the Weekend Under 1600s! We managed to get two of the five Rapid sections and three of the Blitz sections too. We also had a dedicated Anti-Cheating arbiter for the first time, who was checking toilets, and checking for any interactions between children and parents, for instance.

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 am

He obliterated me with an attack worthy of a strong grandmaster in his 6th OTB game. The key move was a knight sacrifice moving it to a square where it could simply be taken. I've played a few GMs and never seen anything like it. He thought for as much as a minute which was more than all of his other moves and had more time when he mated me than he started with.

Yes I must admit I am cynical and spent most of the game trying to work out how he was cheating and thought it must be the baseball cap if anything.

When we talked it through after the game though he was pretty convincing. Only a genuinely decent player would have been able to do that.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:27 am

So the baseball cap is a constant in all his games?
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 am

Jon Underwood wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 am
He obliterated me with an attack worthy of a strong grandmaster in his 6th OTB game. The key move was a knight sacrifice moving it to a square where it could simply be taken. I've played a few GMs and never seen anything like it. He thought for as much as a minute which was more than all of his other moves and had more time when he mated me than he started with.

Yes I must admit I am cynical and spent most of the game trying to work out how he was cheating and thought it must be the baseball cap if anything.

When we talked it through after the game though he was pretty convincing. Only a genuinely decent player would have been able to do that.
Have you still got the game?

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:44 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 am
Jon Underwood wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 am

Have you still got the game?
Yes but I am in London so not on me..

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:45 am

This thread was pointed out to me by someone I had told about Declan Lovelock a while ago. I think my phrase was he is either the greatest natural talent in the history of chess, or... not.