Release 2008

Request amendments or pass comments on this free service.
Carl Hibbard

Release 2008

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:02 pm

It will be soon be time for the new online database - is there anything missing that I need to add or changes I should make?

:idea:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Edward Tandi

Re: Release 2008

Post by Edward Tandi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Is the format of the CSV the same as last year? Or ill it contain an extra column for this new adjusted grade?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Edward Tandi wrote:Is the format of the CSV the same as last year? Or ill it contain an extra column for this new adjusted grade?
A couple of extra columns for the adjusted grades although I haven't actually done the work yet
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matt Harrison

Post by Matt Harrison » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:44 pm

The existing application works well, is easy to use and very speedy. The only addition I'd like (and I don't know whether this would be possible) would be for a link to a list of the games played during the year, opponents, result etc. However this might be a significant extra piece of work.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Matt Harrison wrote:The existing application works well, is easy to use and very speedy. The only addition I'd like (and I don't know whether this would be possible) would be for a link to a list of the games played during the year, opponents, result etc. However this might be a significant extra piece of work.
It has been discussed as an ECF direct member value added service - so members would be able to see an "extra" level of information regarding the games that made up that season

But other work has taken priority (the adjustments..) although this amendment should appear in the future
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Great work on the online version Carl. Does anyone know when the cutoff for rapidplay games is?

Cheers,
Justin

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:48 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Edward Tandi wrote:Is the format of the CSV the same as last year? Or ill it contain an extra column for this new adjusted grade?
A couple of extra columns for the adjusted grades although I haven't actually done the work yet
Only there are a few applications that work off the current CSV format. Is the change permanent, or will we revert the change in future years?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 am

Edward Tandi wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Only there are a few applications that work off the current CSV format. Is the change permanent, or will we revert the change in future years?
There are?

Any chance of clarification on which ones?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Edward Tandi wrote:Only there are a few applications that work off the current CSV format. Is the change permanent, or will we revert the change in future years
There are? Any chance of clarification on which ones?
In tournament software it is used for quick entry of players. Specifically Vega: http://www.vegachess.com/en/index.htm

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Edward Tandi wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Edward Tandi wrote:Only there are a few applications that work off the current CSV format. Is the change permanent, or will we revert the change in future years
There are? Any chance of clarification on which ones?
In tournament software it is used for quick entry of players. Specifically Vega: http://www.vegachess.com/en/index.htm
I am surprised to be honest but to clarify:-

The grading list will "probably" come out online at the weekend (fingers crossed...) but the format of the download CSV file will probably stay the same until the "official" release in August

Which will be at the same time as the printed version

At this time two extra fields will "appear" in the download file (the new calculated grades...) and will remain there and published until the 2009 list

These will then become your normal grades and they will no longer be present on the file - hope that is clear :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:I am surprised to be honest...
Well, it does speed up entry quite a bit. Players can be found with just a few keypresses. It ensures the grading references are entered and that the names are in the right format for the ECF grading report, which can be produced at the end.
Carl Hibbard wrote:... but to clarify:-

The grading list will "probably" come out online at the weekend (fingers crossed...) but the format of the download CSV file will probably stay the same until the "official" release in August

Which will be at the same time as the printed version

At this time two extra fields will "appear" in the download file (the new calculated grades...) and will remain there and published until the 2009 list

These will then become your normal grades and they will no longer be present on the file - hope that is clear :)
Thanks, that clear. No need to change the software for now.

Of course, I think correction should be applied annualy, but that's another matter -see the grading debate topics.

Mark Whitby

Post by Mark Whitby » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Do we have any more news on how the new release is taking shape?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Mark Whitby wrote:Do we have any more news on how the new release is taking shape?
I am having some technical issues with it today to be honest :shock:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mark Whitby

Post by Mark Whitby » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I know that feeling very well Carl, I have technical problems coming out of my ears and mine's only a small website!

Good luck sorting them out, don't envy you doing such a hard task on what is an excellent system. :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Mark Whitby wrote:I know that feeling very well Carl, I have technical problems coming out of my ears and mine's only a small website!

Good luck sorting them out, don't envy you doing such a hard task on what is an excellent system. :D
I figured out the problems so we should be back on track now

Tomorrow morning should be up and live

Looks like an increase to 80 for yourself...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard