Rapidplay Grades

Request amendments or pass comments on this free service.
Richard Haddrell

Re: Rapidplay Grades

Post by Richard Haddrell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Richard Haddrell wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:I appear to have become ungraded. Which is odd, because although I haven't played a rapid game in the last 6 months I played 6 in the previous 6 months and 47 in the previous year!
Not true, Sean. Your most recent graded Rapidplay game was on 1st October 2009, which noticeably predates both of the 6-month periods you mention. With 0 games in the latest 12 months you are correctly ungraded.
Richard
I played the Bury rapidplay in December 2009.
But it wasn’t graded. You’d have known this if you had looked at Events Received for Grading 2009-10. There was some sort of mix-up and the organisers never sent it. They are back on track now. The 2010 event is in.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Can you have a rapidplay grade without it being published?

I only ask because i recently played in a rapidplay tournament (i think for the first time in over 2.5 years, not including e2e4) and was revealed to have a grade of 212. Which seemed vaguely surprising given this

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Can you have a rapidplay grade without it being published?

I only ask because i recently played in a rapidplay tournament (i think for the first time in over 2.5 years, not including e2e4) and was revealed to have a grade of 212. Which seemed vaguely surprising given this
According to my grading database you do not have a rapidplay grade but you did play 6 rapid games the season before last at a TPR of 212. It would seem that the tournament you played recently used this TPR.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Can you have a rapidplay grade without it being published?

According to my grading database you do not have a rapidplay grade but you did play 6 rapid games the season before last at a TPR of 212. It would seem that the tournament you played recently used this TPR.
That explains it - thanks.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Alan Walton wrote:It does seem strange that you lose your rapidplay rating if you don't play a game within two 6 month periods, this seems very short. I would have expected to be ungraded if I haven't played within a two-year period
Yes, I agree a year goes so fast now that I don't play for a club. The ECF are now forcing me to play this weekend and the following weekend to ensure that I get a Rapidplay grade and Standard play grade in July 2011 grading list. Is that fair, FIDE allow you not to play for ages, which seems better and fairer to me. As a grader, ungraded players are the bane of my life.

Isn't it about time the ECF wake up to running a more decent grading system. The 0-275 system is old hat. Current grades could easily be converted using ( ECF x 8 ) + 600, without too much grief. Do we really need to know categories? - The ECF could just publish your Grade/Rating when over 30 games have been played (this number seems to be the most effective starting point). With more players on the list there would be a need to stop duplication - which I'm sure we have now. Because I'm a grader I'm always being sent a list of new players - many I recognise as already having an ECF reference. This can be caused by players dropping off the published list, for instance - some graders don't do enough research to find players already published previously.

Also, the idea that you NEED to produce a hard copy is just financially reckless. As by the time it's out, it's already been succeeded by many adjustments.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.