Page 1 of 2

Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:34 pm
by LawrenceCooper

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:27 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Happy birthday to a genuine chess legend.

70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:44 pm
by John Upham
70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)



https://britishchessnews.com/2020/10/02 ... -speelman/



speelman_morgan.jpg
Jonathan Simon Speelman (02-x-1956) as imagined by Roger Morgan, 1982
speelman_morgan.jpg (773.77 KiB) Viewed 170 times

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:19 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Yes, happy birthday.

Re: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:22 am
by John Upham
More of JPS:




img_0071_crop.jpg
70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)
img_0071_crop.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 134 times

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
by NickFaulks
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!

Happy birthday Jon, truly one of the greats.

Re: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:26 am
by NickFaulks
Two parallel threads and nobody could deserve them more.

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:51 am
by LawrenceCooper
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!

Happy birthday Jon, truly one of the greats.
I assumed that an entry in "Birthdays and Anniversaries" would be self-explanatory :oops:

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:54 am
by John Upham
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!
That is exactly the reason I do not do that.

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:58 am
by LawrenceCooper
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:54 am
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!
That is exactly the reason I do not do that.
I'm happy for the threads to be merged but will have to rely on others to do that.

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:16 pm
by Ian Thompson
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:51 am
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!
I assumed that an entry in "Birthdays and Anniversaries" would be self-explanatory :oops:
Yes, but I suspect I'm not the only one who saw the title, thought "has he died" and only shortly afterwards saw the board the thread is in.

Re: Jonathan Speelman

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:19 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:16 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:51 am
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:24 am
Please do not launch threads with just a name - too often it signifies an obituary!
I assumed that an entry in "Birthdays and Anniversaries" would be self-explanatory :oops:
Yes, but I suspect I'm not the only one who saw the title, thought "has he died" and only shortly afterwards saw the board the thread is in.
I'm aware of that but other than being more careful in future I'm not sure what more I can do.

Re: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 2:09 pm
by John Upham
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:26 am
Two parallel threads and nobody could deserve them more.

Agreed 100%

Re: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 2:12 pm
by John Upham
Here is one during JPS sponsorship deal with Versace :lol:




img_1951_lv.jpg
70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)
img_1951_lv.jpg (370.27 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Re: 70th Birthday Greetings GM Jonathan Speelman (02-x-1956)

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:52 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Topics merged.