Happy Birthday IM James Sherwin (25-x-1933)

The reporting of notable birthdays and anniversaries in the chess arena.
JustinHorton

Re: Happy Birthday IM James Sherwin (25-x-1933)

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:48 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 am
John Moore wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:50 am
Rather less obscure are Hans Ree who played Fischer at Netanya and Ljubomir Kavalek from the Sousse Interzonal. There seem to be a lot more than I first thought.
I mean when you think about it he played the bulk of his chess in the Sixties so quite a lot of his opponents would have been born in the Thirties or later, and getting to eighty or so isn't so unusual now.

Slim Bouaziz would have been 17 at the time had they played at Sousse. He's only 70 now.

Lhamsuren Myagmarsuren, who he did play, is 82.
And here he is
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Eric Gardiner

Re: Happy Birthday IM James Sherwin (25-x-1933)

Post by Eric Gardiner » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am
If you want obscure then I will offer Roelof Westra. No longer competing, but still occasionally imbibing :)
Never played him but have "seen him around" at congresses in the past - when did he play RJF?

(chessgames.com has just one 1980 game for him)
I've just noticed this thread. Roelof is not obscure to those who have played league or tournament chess in Yorkshire! If I recall correctly, Roelof told me many years ago he played Fischer in a blitz tournament in Montreal when Fischer was 11 (the result was a draw). I don't know how strong Roelof would have been at the time but he was graded 200+ for many years. I'm not aware that the two ever played in a more serious tournament.