Page 6 of 6

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:39 pm
by Simon Rogers
It was announced on the Essex Chess Association website on the 29th December 2020, that the Southend Easter Congress 2021 has been cancelled.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 am
by Matt Mackenzie
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Unlikely to surprise anyone, but the 2021 East Devon in the Exeter Corn Exchange has been formally cancelled. Usually it's late February or early March and the 2020 event was one of the last English events held.
Blackpool was the last major one, I think? Doubt if enough people will get vaccinated in time for it this year.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am
by NickFaulks
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 am
Doubt if enough people will get vaccinated in time for it this year.
Can someone explain the mechanism by which that will make a difference? I don't understand.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:07 pm
by Roger de Coverly
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:34 am
Can someone explain the mechanism by which that will make a difference? I don't understand.
SAGE or similar prophets of doom will decree that until there's near 100% vaccination or 0% infection, that large gatherings have to be banned. One of them was recently talking about restrictions next winter.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 pm
by Paul Robert Jackson
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Unlikely to surprise anyone, but the 2021 East Devon in the Exeter Corn Exchange has been formally cancelled. Usually it's late February or early March and the 2020 event was one of the last English events held.
Blackpool was the last major one, I think? Doubt if enough people will get vaccinated in time for it this year.
Will be very surprised if Blackpool Chess Conference 2021 takes place.
.....lets see if the website gets updated.
www.blackpoolchess.org.uk

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 pm
by Simon Rogers
Not likely. The Lancashire website, has not been updated since mid April last year.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 pm
by NickFaulks
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:07 pm
One of them was recently talking about restrictions next winter.
All we need now is for the PM to promise that this will certainly not happen, so that we can plan ahead with total confidence.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:11 am
by Simon Rogers
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Unlikely to surprise anyone, but the 2021 East Devon in the Exeter Corn Exchange has been formally cancelled. Usually it's late February or early March and the 2020 event was one of the last English events held.
Blackpool was the last major one, I think? Doubt if enough people will get vaccinated in time for it this year.
Will be very surprised if Blackpool Chess Conference 2021 takes place.
.....lets see if the website gets updated.
www.blackpoolchess.org.uk
The website has finally been updated, Paul.
Under "Future Events " it now says "TBA ".
I can't remember if this year or next was the final year planned at the Imperial Hotel.
I did hear from a reliable source, that the Blackpool Chess Congress planned for the 12th to 14th March has been cancelled.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm
by Paul Robert Jackson
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:11 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:28 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:05 am

Blackpool was the last major one, I think? Doubt if enough people will get vaccinated in time for it this year.
Will be very surprised if Blackpool Chess Conference 2021 takes place.
.....lets see if the website gets updated.
www.blackpoolchess.org.uk
The website has finally been updated, Paul.
Under "Future Events " it now says "TBA ".
I can't remember if this year or next was the final year planned at the Imperial Hotel.
I did hear from a reliable source, that the Blackpool Chess Congress planned for the 12th to 14th March has been cancelled.
Hopefully the Blackpool Chess Conference will run at some future date
.....as I have this sad feeling that as these events get cancelled, (some will be for the second time), they will disappear off the calendar permanently.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:16 pm
by Simon Rogers
Here are two more cancellations:
The Doncaster Chess Congress scheduled for the end of February has been cancelled.
The 2021 Durham Congress scheduled for April/May has been cancelled according to Mick Riding on the County Durham Chess Association website.

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:31 pm
by Simon Rogers
This was posted on the Yorkshire Chess Association website on 28th February:
" The Hull Rapidplay was originally scheduled for 01/01/2021, but had to be cancelled as far as that date was concerned, due to Coronavirus and it was rescheduled to 11/04/2021.
It has now had to be cancelled as far as that second date is concerned. "

Re: Event Cancellation

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 pm
by Roger de Coverly
The Thanet Congress, usually the weekend before the August Bank Holiday, is not taking place in 2021. Non availability of the usual premises (a school) is cited as one of the reasons.