Event Cancellation

List of cancelled events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Simon Rogers

Re: Event Cancellation

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 am

The World Amateur Chess Championship scheduled for the 16th to 25th May in Rhodes,Greece has been cancelled.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 am

In the nick of time.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 pm

Dear Chess Player

I am sad to inform you that as organisers of the Torbay Chess Congress we have decided to cancel the 2020 Congress because of the ongoing implications of the Coronavirus pandemic. It is in the nature of chess congresses that any form of “social distancing” will be impossible, and regardless of what Government guidelines may be saying in November, we feel we cannot take the responsibility of convening a purely recreational event which might put participants' health at risk.

We have taken the decision now to remove uncertainty for both the players, the hotel and ourselves.

On a positive note, we are planning to hold the 2021 Congress on Armistice weekend (12th - 14th November).

If you won a trophy at last year's Congress please feel free to hold on to it for another year. If you are moving away from the area or would simply like to return it, please let me know and I will arrange to pay for the carriage.

Kind regards

Ken Alexander
Congress Organiser

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Ronnie Burton (Torquay) wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 pm
I am sad to inform you that as organisers of the Torbay Chess Congress we have decided to cancel the 2020 Congress because of the ongoing implications of the Coronavirus pandemic. It is in the nature of chess congresses that any form of “social distancing” will be impossible, and regardless of what Government guidelines may be saying in November, we feel we cannot take the responsibility of convening a purely recreational event which might put participants' health at risk.
The date at which normal chess activity might resume is receding into the distance. More often than not, Torquay would clash with the first weekend of the 4NCL for which similar logic would apply.

In recent years Torquay has also followed on from the Beacon Seniors. That was in doubt anyway because the organiser was standing down.

[edit] It's at the same hotel as Torquay, so presumably Paignton is off as well. (I may have missed the formal announcement) [/edit]

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 am

With reference to the Roger's last post about the 4NCL, their website is still advertising their 25th Congress scheduled for Crewe in mid-July. I would be extremely surprised if that went ahead. Similarly the rescheduling of the League itself at Telford at the end of August. From what we see on here the chances of any OTB Congress Chess before 2021 look to be receding rapidly. Finally I apologise in advance for not following the guidelines I set myself at the start of the thread. :oops:

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 15, 2020 12:29 pm

The Mind Sports Olympiad 2020, at the end of August, will "proceed online".

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 15, 2020 12:31 pm

This year's Norwegian Chess Championship in Hell has been cancelled. However, better times may lie ahead. Next year's Championship will take place very close to Paradis.

(with acknowledgments to Tarjei J Svensen)
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm

The lockdown restrictions have been lifted to Level 2 in New Zealand. However they have not been lifted enough for any over the board chess yet.
As a result all over the board chess including tournaments until 30th June has been cancelled.
The following tournaments have also now been cancelled :
5th to 9th July New Zealand Junior Championships in Auckland.
12th to 18th July North Island Championship in Auckland

The Oceania Under 20 Chess Championships in Honiara, Solomon Islands for the 28th June to 7th July has sadly been cancelled.
Hope this is plenty of warning this time.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

In case anyone was thinking of going to the Dieppe Congress this year, please note:-

Given the currentcontext of this health crisis, and the measures needed to control this pandemicin the interest of all, the management committee had to its great regret, take the decision tocancel the 16th Dieppe International Festival.

We hope to organizeit again in 2021 under better conditions.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Not cancelled as yet, but Hastings announced a couple of days ago that they won't make a decision until the end of August.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat May 16, 2020 12:28 am

In the USA, the following events have been cancelled

23rd to 25th May US Amateur Championship East at Morristown, New Jersey.
23rd to 25th May US Amateur Championship West at Tucson, Arizona.
5th to 7th June US Senior Open Championship at Pomona, California.
24th to 28th June National Open at Las Vegas, Nevada.
8th to 16th August US Open Championship at Saint Charles, Missouri.
21st to 25th August US Masters Championship at Greensboro, North Carolina.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 am
With reference to the Roger's last post about the 4NCL, their website is still advertising their 25th Congress scheduled for Crewe in mid-July. I would be extremely surprised if that went ahead. Similarly the rescheduling of the League itself at Telford at the end of August. From what we see on here the chances of any OTB Congress Chess before 2021 look to be receding rapidly. Finally I apologise in advance for not following the guidelines I set myself at the start of the thread. :oops:
4NCL Crewe Congress (July 10-12) now cancelled.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue May 19, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm afraid you could be right Neil regards the chances of OTB chess being played this year because here are some more cancellations:

13th June GLCC Summer Rapidplay in London.
21st to 23rd August Thanet Chess Congress in Broadstairs, Kent.

Both cancelled according to the ECF calendar.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Mon May 25, 2020 5:55 pm

2020 DCCA “Paignton” Congress: CANCELLED
In light of the ongoing uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, and the need for stringent social distancing measures to keep the community safe, the organisers of the DCCA “Paignton” Congress have decided – after considerable discussion – to formally CANCEL this year’s Congress, which was due to take place on 6 – 12 September 2020.

Given the event’s unbroken 69-year history, this is a very difficult decision for the organisers to have to make – but we hope that you share our assessment that it is the correct thing to do.

Further details regarding the 2021 DCCA “Paignton” Congress – which will be the 70th – will be circulated in due course via the usual channels, including the DevonChess.com website. In the meantime, please refer any questions via email to Dr Tim Paulden at [email protected].

We very much look forward to seeing you all next year in what we hope are sunnier circumstances. Thank you for your ongoing support of the Paignton Congress.

Best wishes,

Dr Tim Paulden
DCCA President

25 May 2020

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon May 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Just been announced by the Australian Chess Federation that one of their biggest tournaments has been cancelled.
2nd to 6th July Gold Coast Open.
Queensland, Australia.
This normally attracts around 200 players including many GMs.