Event Cancellation

List of cancelled events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
David Sedgwick

Re: Event Cancellation

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:26 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:25 am
I'm sure you mean 2022 and 2023, but what will it take for the rights not to hold a British Rapidplay to revert to the ECF?
Thank you. I do indeed. I have corrected my original post.

I am not really interested in the rights not to hold a British Rapidplay. I would like to see a British Rapidplay take place.

The first thing that needs to happen is for the ECF Board to share that desire. Up to now the Board doesn't seem to have regarded it as very important, on the grounds that the ECF are organising other events of good quality (which is of course the case).
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:03 am
I fear that holding it during 2021 or in the early months of 2022 will prove problematic.
Until I saw Roger's post I didn't understand yours at all. I thought that you were predicting that the country would shortly be swept by some ghastly new epidemic or pandemic and I was worrying about the implications for the Hastings Congress.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:18 pm

I am sympathetic to the organizers' desire to not hold this event for covid-related reasons, particularly as I have just tested positive for the disease, but I feel that the ECF probably needs to work on its outsourcing strategy. Drawing up of proper contracts, that sort of thing.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:54 am
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Looks like the British Rapidplay is cancelled for another year.
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:49 pm
I just fell off my chair from the shock.
I nearly fell off my chair in anger when I read the announcement.

I know little of the contractual arrangements relating to the event - Neil Graham may know more - but they allegedly give the organisers the right to hold the event in perpetuity. I very much doubt that they also give the organisers not to hold the event in perpetuity.

In my opinion the ECF Board should now terminate the contract immediately on the grounds of non-performance and make arrangements to hold a British Rapidplay Championship for 2022 as soon as possible. If it is too late to make arrangements for this to happen during 2022, then it should take place in the early months of 2023.
I hadn't picked up on this post. I e-mailed Adrian Elwin (who was Home Director) copied to Mike Truran in 2020 about this event. The terms and conditions were clear - I would be happy to contact Nigel Towers to clarify these if appropriate.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:57 pm

From Tim Wall:

Unfortunately, the 2022-23 Forest Hall Rapidplay Grand Prix tournaments (November 19, January 28, March 11, April 23 & June 17) and the 5th EJCOA International (December 16-20) have been cancelled due to unforeseen financial problems.

All entrants will receive full refunds as soon as possible, and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

https://dcca.org.uk/2022/11/07/cancellation-of-events/
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.