Page 1 of 1

It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:23 am
by Mark Howitt
It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Had to actually think a little of how to word that title...

Yet let's remember that when the new ECF grades came in any games players had previously played in local leagues seem to have been in effect ignored. Lost to history.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:21 am
by Alan Walton
Mark Howitt wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:23 am
Yet let's remember that when the new ECF grades came in any games players had previously played in local leagues seem to have been in effect ignored. Lost to history.
I think you'll find with the majority of historic grading systems within the ECF, either national or local (local games weren't always graded nationally, especially in Yorkshire), were always lost over time, this is because in essence rating systems in the UK used an average over the past 30 games, therefore if you played 30 games plus in any grading cycle all your history technically had disappeared

When the new grades came into effect people just had their current ECF grade converted, and thereafter just a different calculated method is being used; in theory an ELO system like the current method remembers history better than the old systems

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:41 am
by Stephen Westmoreland
Mark Howitt wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:23 am
It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Had to actually think a little of how to word that title...

Yet let's remember that when the new ECF grades came in any games players had previously played in local leagues seem to have been in effect ignored. Lost to history.
Try https://www.chessnuts.org.uk/ny5/ if that floats your boat.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:25 am
by Stephen Westmoreland
A lot sat on papers as well. I archived decades of material for Huddersfield and booklets, with results going back to the 60s or before. It sits at Huddersfield library for any enterprising soul who wants to do the back history.

Some material is on disused websites. Geoff Peak had one that I thing has been taken down. There is also Steve Mann's website.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 am
by Mark Howitt
I think what I shall add is...

And please remember... my writing can mean many things...

It's a pity historic Yorkshire grades aren't taken into account sometimes when estimating ECF grades...

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:38 am
by Stephen Westmoreland
Yes I can find your writing confusing. Are you trying to say, that you want your old grading of 140 from 10 years+ converted to ECF ? I believe (I am sure someone can correct) that grades go after a period of inactivity anyway.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:45 pm
by Peter Ackley
One word, Mark. "Relevance".

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:09 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Historic grades might be relevant to chess historians, even if nobody else. A possible project for someone to pursue, maybe - an online site which records as much historic (mostly, though not entirely, pre-1994) grading data as possible?

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:32 pm
by Peter Ackley
Mark Howitt wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 am
It's a pity historic Yorkshire grades aren't taken into account sometimes when estimating ECF grades...
Was the post I was responding to, Matt. Mark wasn't talking about general relevance but his desire for his 15 year old ECF rating (and his online grade) to be used in showing his current ability.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:43 pm
by Stephen Westmoreland
Which would be wiped anyone due to not playing. At best he would be around 1750ish at his peak I think (I am thinking lower at 142). Happy to be corrected. Posts appear complete fantasy on various threads.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:50 pm
by Mark Howitt
Yeah just to clarify I did know all my grades from before.

It's nice they're on paper somewhere.

From the inflated rating my old YCA grade would have been about 150.

Re: It's a Pity Historic Yorkshire Grades Are Lost...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:51 pm
by Mark Howitt
Yeah Stephen I'll correct you because I'm going to play more online now and happy to play you sometime esp in rapid so it doesn't takeup too much of my time.