Berks And Bucks Chess Congress 27th-29th of August

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Berks And Bucks Chess Congress 27th-29th of August

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:Over £1,500.00 in entries and the total prize fund is around £400.00 :o
By my calculations the prize fund should actually be about £860 - double what you say.

Bear in mind that it's a three day event not two or two and an evening so the venue costs are presumably much higher. There's also my appearance fee. Bloggers don't come cheap, you know.

That said, it's true the first prizes aren't particularly higher. The same as you would get for winning a one-day event at Golders Green.

That doesn't bother me at all though, and seems not to have put off any of the other 80-odd entrants. £21 quid for 3 days of two-games-a-day chess at a decent time control strikes me as very reasonable.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 pm

I think Simon is underestimating the prize fund. It is not 3 sections with £144 each, it will be many small sections of 12-16 players with those prizes.

But if the point is the prizes are not particularly attractive, that is probably fair. What you do get is 6 games against players of approximately your own strength in ok conditions. (Not great, but ok.). You do get a small prize incentive to keep things competitive. But really you have to ask if £21 is worth if for the chess. Given it is on my doorstep, it is a no-brainer for me.

If the point about Polehampton Primary School ripping of chess players is serious, of course that is not the case. We are lucky to have their support.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Got there ahead of you by 1 minute Paul - which I suspect will not be the result should we play at the weekend.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

But if the point is the prizes are not particularly attractive, that is probably fair.
That is the point, I pay a little bit more than that to enter Scarborough and the 1st prize is £500.00

Doesn't mean I am going to win of course. :shock:

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:
But if the point is the prizes are not particularly attractive, that is probably fair.
That is the point, I pay a little bit more than that to enter Scarborough and the 1st prize is £500.00

Doesn't mean I am going to win of course. :shock:
Indeed, Berks and Bucks has never been attractive to professional players, they are not the people it is trying to attract.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Indeed, Berks and Bucks has never been attractive to professional players, they are not the people it is trying to attract.
Nor is Scarborough, the vast majority of the players are rated below 170.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:
Nor is Scarborough, the vast majority of the players are rated below 170.
Tozer, Hawkins, Britton, Rayner, Surtees won prizes in 2010. A 170 might be getting better odds from a lottery ticket :)

But I don't want to criticise Scarborough. Good prizes are a good way to attract entries. But not the only way, Berks and Bucks running on a different philosophy. It is good to have the choice :)

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Berks and Bucks running on a different philosophy.
Can't argue with that. :)

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 pm

John Upham wrote
Yes, but just think how much it will cost to hire the plush venue, the live games transmission, bar, commentary room, bookstall, games inputters, digital clocks and spacious playing conditions. These things do not come cheaply these days.
The only cost is for the venue. Francis Bowers is providing the bookstall. Digital clocks are being provided by the ECF at a small cost to myself. Commentary, a games inputting service and live games transmission are not planned, but if anyone wishes to volunteer to do any of these they are welcome to do so. Suitable equipment will be provided, but please be aware that the budget is £0 for all of these. If anyone knows a better venue, please let Nigel Dennis know. If anyone knows a primary school which has a bar, please let me know.

Simon Dixon commented on the prize fund and the refreshments. The prize fund includes permanent trophies to keep for the section winners and runners-up; and Cups for the winners of the Championship, Challengers, Reserves A. These are mentioned on page 3 of the entry form. Refreshments are being provided in a separate room.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 am

Final numbers 86. That is unless someone turns up unannounced on the day.

No volunteers have come forward from the previous post unfortunately.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:11 am

Good luck to all at the Berks and Bucks event, players and organisers alike. Whilst some players may be driven by the advertised prize fund (even when they have little chance of winning it) there is no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of amateur players are not driven in that way. They want good quality opposition, hopefully in nice surroundings. Sounds like they'll get that at Berks and Bucks. I also like their way of putting the sections together - indeed we do the same at out International All Play Alls. Whilst some players will feel they are in the wrong section, the vast majority appreciate playing similar strength opposition.

Comparisons with other events are not fair for at least three reasons - the entry fee at B&B is pretty low by comparison, Scarborough is a 'destination' venue that will attract players because of it's location and because of that the volume of entries Scarborough has an economy of scale that B&B can't hope to achieve.

Have a good weekend!

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks to Sean for his positive comments.

Final results in the championship section
1st Peter A Williams 5/6
2nd Paul Girdlestone 4.5/6
3rd Paul Cooksey 4/6

For full details of the championship and other sections, please seehttp://results.tournamentdirector.co.uk