Manchester Autumn Congress 2011

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Mick Norris

Manchester Autumn Congress 2011

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 am

The dates for this have now been confirmed as Friday 2 to Sunday 4 September

The event will again take place at Woolton Hall, Owens Park, University of Manchester – same format as last year, accommodation available on site for those who require it

Full details and entry form in due course

CONGRESS DIRECTOR Harry Lamb 134 Junction Road Bolton BL3 4NQ. Tel 01204 63374. email [email protected]
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Re: Manchester Autumn Congress 2011

Post by Mick Norris » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Manchester Chess Federation Autumn Congress
Friday 2nd - Sun 4th Sep 2011.

Tournaments: Open. Major Under 165. Knights Under 125.
Free on campus parking ECF Graded University Accommodation

A Midlands (MCCU) Grand Prix event

Prizes all Sections First £220 Second £110 Third £55
Grading Prizes Open £50 Under 185 Major £50 Under 145 Knights £50 Under 110

ENTRY FEE £26. Late entry fees Postmarked or emailed after Sunday Aug 29 £2. Entries on the day £5. Entry fee Rules Phone entries are not accepted. Email entries are accepted but only in the four weeks before the event. Email entries pay on arrival.
Entry fee reductions Schoolchildren £5 ECF Direct members & NMS members £1
Withdrawal. If you tell us before Friday Sep 2 we will refund your entry fee.
ACCOMMODATION Available at the venue, Woolton Hall. £39 per night including breakfast. You can also stay Sunday night. Accommodation must be booked and paid for before Saturday Aug 28. If you cancel before August 28 we will give you a full refund.
TIMETABLE Rd 1 Friday 6.45 Rd 2 Saturday 9.45 Rd 3 Saturday 2.30
Rd 4 Sunday 9.45 Rd 5 Sunday 2.30 Prizegiving Sunday 6.30
A £3 admin charge will be levied on all prizes not collected at the prizegiving and posted on.
MOVE RATE We use an incremental (Fisher) time control. Which is much better than the traditional control. It is simpler and avoids many of the disputes associated with old fashioned time controls You start off with 80 minutes on your clock and every time you press your clock you gain an extra 30 seconds. DEFAULT TIME 30 minutes after the round starts. When all players with no opponent will be re-paired
TOURNAMENT CONDITIONS The organisers decision is final in all disputes. We reserve the right to refuse entries without stating a reason.
VENUE Woolton Hall, Owens Park. Owens Park is a very big University complex about three miles south of the City centre address, 293 Wilmslow Road M14 6HD. There is ample car parking at the Armitage Centre around the corner in Mossley Road M14 6HE and signposted. Alternatively there is plenty of on street car parking.
BOOKSTALL BY CHESS DIRECT, Andrew Butterworth P.O. Box 18 Mexborough South Yorkshire S64 9AR Tel 01709 890565 Web Site http://www.chessdirect.co.uk.
CONGRESS DIRECTOR Harry Lamb 134 Junction Road Bolton BL3 4NQ. Tel 01204 63374. email [email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENTRY FORM Full Name _________________________________________
Address ______________________________________________________________
Post Code ___________ Phone No ________________________ Grade _______
Club ______________ Section ________ Round No if half point bye required ___

Entry Fee inc any late fee £_______ Donation £_______
Entry fee reduction -£______
Accommodation. Please circle as required Fri Sat Sun Total nights __
Grand Total £_______
Send the entry form to the congress director address above. Please make cheques payable to Manchester Chess Federation Congress. Or enter by email at [email protected] and pay on arrival.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 pm

For those travelling from distance who want to stay for the weekend, but not at the University accommodation, a short walk away is the Chancellor's Hotel

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/chancel ... aid=337191

There are a variety of hotels nearby, and of course the city centre is full of hotels only a couple of miles away

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 pm

On of my favourite congresses of the year (so long as we're not back in that pokey side room :lol:) Would have booked a long weekend from work, but sadly someone else has got in first this year, so I'll have about 2 hours to get to Manchester on the Friday, but it should be fine. See you there!
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Jon

I wasn't there last year, but my understanding was that all the games would be played in the same large room at Woolton Hall - was that not the case?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Jon

I wasn't there last year, but my understanding was that all the games would be played in the same large room at Woolton Hall - was that not the case?
Yeah, it was great last year, Woolton hall was very spacious and a two minute walk from the student halls if you are staying over - and if you walk 5 minutes in the other direction, there’s about 10 student bars :wink:

It was the year before which wasn't that great - very cramped room with the sun blazing in, melting players near the window and reflecting on the boards. Also the toilets were in another building a fair walk away, which I expect was an issue for older players.

If it's the same as last year though, it'll be an enjoyable weekend! :D
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Jon

2009 venue was awful :roll:

Glad to hear 2010 was good, as I spent some time before we got Woolton Hall :)

2011 is Woolton Hall again, so hope to see a good turnout

The emails have gone out to the GMCCA congress subscribers list, so hope Harry sees the entries flowing in soon