3rd Worcestershire Open Congress, 23-24 July 2011

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Andrew Farthing

3rd Worcestershire Open Congress, 23-24 July 2011

Post by Andrew Farthing » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 am

The 3rd Worcestershire Open Chess Congress will take place at the University of Worcester, St John's Campus, Henwick Grove, Worcester, WR2 6AJ on Saturday, 23rd - Sunday, 24th July 2011. It will be a 5-round standardplay event, with three games on Saturday and two on Sunday. The rate of play will be 35 moves in 75 minutes, followed by an additional 15 minutes to play the game.

In view of the success of last year's event, there will be an extra section this year, making four in total: Open, U160, U135 and U115.

As in previous years, the organisers are seeking to combine an enjoyable tournament with fundraising for a designated charity. This year, profits from the event will be donated to Age Concern Sandwell, a charity in which I am closely involved. In 2010, we had 105 entries and were able to donate over £600 to the St Mary's Hospice in Birmingham. I hope to do even better this year!

The University has plenty of on-campus parking, for which there is a small charge (£1 last year). Those who played in last year's event should note that we are in a different room this year, the Cotswold Suite, accessed through the main Reception. There will be an analysis room. Refreshments - sandwiches, baguettes, paninis, drinks and other light refreshments - will be available from the on-campus Costa Coffee outlet.

Congress equipment is being supplied by CCF Mindgames Ltd, who will also be running their usual excellent bookstall (new and secondhand). I'd like to thank John and Chris Constable for once again supporting the event.

Entry forms can be downloaded via the ECF Tournament Calendar http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=3333. There is also a congress website http://www.worcestershirechesscongress.org.uk/, but this is currently very rudimentary. More content will be added during the next month, including, I believe, a list of entrants as they come in.

Any enquiries to me at [email protected] or phone me on 01905 358949.

I hope that many of you will be able to join us for this event, which immediately precedes the British Championships. Sheffield is only just over 2 hours' drive away, so our congress could be just the warm-up needed for those going to the British.

Please note: No entries will be accepted on the day of the tournament. Entries received after Tuesday, 19th July are subject to a £2 late fee. Entries may be accepted on Friday, 22nd July at the tournament controller's discretion, subject to a £5 surcharge.

Michele Clack

Re: 3rd Worcestershire Open Congress, 23-24 July 2011

Post by Michele Clack » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm looking forward to it already!

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:The 3rd Worcestershire Open Chess Congress will take place at the University of Worcester, St John's Campus, Henwick Grove, Worcester, WR2 6AJ on Saturday, 23rd - Sunday, 24th July 2011. It will be a 5-round standardplay event, with three games on Saturday and two on Sunday. The rate of play will be 35 moves in 75 minutes, followed by an additional 15 minutes to play the game.

In view of the success of last year's event, there will be an extra section this year, making four in total: Open, U160, U135 and U115.

As in previous years, the organisers are seeking to combine an enjoyable tournament with fundraising for a designated charity. This year, profits from the event will be donated to Age Concern Sandwell, a charity in which I am closely involved. In 2010, we had 105 entries and were able to donate over £600 to the St Mary's Hospice in Birmingham. I hope to do even better this year!

The University has plenty of on-campus parking, for which there is a small charge (£1 last year). Those who played in last year's event should note that we are in a different room this year, the Cotswold Suite, accessed through the main Reception. There will be an analysis room. Refreshments - sandwiches, baguettes, paninis, drinks and other light refreshments - will be available from the on-campus Costa Coffee outlet.

Congress equipment is being supplied by CCF Mindgames Ltd, who will also be running their usual excellent bookstall (new and secondhand). I'd like to thank John and Chris Constable for once again supporting the event.

Entry forms can be downloaded via the ECF Tournament Calendar http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=3333.

Any enquiries to me at [email protected] or phone me on 01905 358949.

I hope that many of you will be able to join us for this event, which immediately precedes the British Championships. Sheffield is only just over 2 hours' drive away, so our congress could be just the warm-up needed for those going to the British.

Please note: No entries will be accepted on the day of the tournament. Entries received after Tuesday, 19th July are subject to a £2 late fee. Entries may be accepted on Friday, 22nd July at the tournament controller's discretion, subject to a £5 surcharge.
Just under three weeks to go to the Worcestershire Open Congress. Enter by Tuesday, 19th July to avoid a £2 late fee (£5 for entries accepted on 22 July.)

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 pm

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Hope the tournament goes well, I'm coaching on Sunday so won't be playing this year.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:25 am

After three rounds Latvian player Pavel Besedin is in the lead of the open section. Against Paveln in round three Peter Kitson (Worcester) was defending a double rook and knight ending with a backward pawn . Material was still equal well into the "five minute zone" of a quick play finish. Eventually, after Pavel's peristant probing, Peter cracked and then lost on time. The young Friar brothers lead the intermediate section.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Main prize winners and a few pics are at:
http://home.clara.net/collett/cong/11cong_r.htm
I hope to post full results by late Monday 25 July.