e2e4 Brighton International : 23rd - 27th February 2011

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: e2e4 Brighton International : 23rd - 27th February 2011

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 pm

So all the strongest players at the start, with the exception of Yang-Fan in round 9. That looks pretty good - and pretty good for his norm chances; he plays me knowing what result he needs to get.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

And he plays me in 8 to find out what result he will need v you in 9 :lol:

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:I saw the potential for an amazing coincidence,and behold it has happened!

The last time Birmingham City reached the final of the league cup was 10 years ago on the 25th of Feb against Liverpool. At the time of the match I was in the middle of a last round game in a tournament at Dyfed in S.W.Wales. This year, on the 27th of Feb, Birmingham City will again play in the final of the League Cup - this time against Arsenal.I will again be playing the last round game of a chess tournament at the same time as the match - this time the tournament being e2e4 Brighton.
My opponent in the Dyfed game was Chris Dunworth. My opponent at Brighton will be.....Chris Dunworth! I wonder just how few games Chris has played in the interval!
Definitely not such a coincidence but when Arsenal last played in a Carling Cup final I watched the match on tv in Bunratty as I will be this year. More alarming is that I've just found out that Scotland-Ireland is on at the same time so I may not get to see the game even if I have a quick draw in the last round :cry:

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:So all the strongest players at the start, with the exception of Yang-Fan in round 9. That looks pretty good - and pretty good for his norm chances; he plays me knowing what result he needs to get.
I must be being particularly thick, but why is that an advantage? Unless he can expect you to just roll over and give him whatever result he requires...

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:So all the strongest players at the start, with the exception of Yang-Fan in round 9. That looks pretty good - and pretty good for his norm chances; he plays me knowing what result he needs to get.
I must be being particularly thick, but why is that an advantage? Unless he can expect you to just roll over and give him whatever result he requires...
Well, if he needs a draw, I probably won't be too unhappy to acquiesce, especially as he's higher rated than me. If he needs a win, then my notorious inconsistency will work in his favour - he doesn't lose a lot if he runs into one of my good days and loses, whereas he gains a great deal if he runs into one of my bad days and wins.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Due to the earthquake in Christchurch one of the players in the Major has had to withdraw to fly home. Consequently, we have one spare place available for the event, which starts tomorrow.

This place is open to a rated player below 2000, or an unrated player graded below 165.

If you are able and willing to play, please pm me, email me at [email protected] or call / text me on 07883 495758.